This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1546 / 50°9'16"N
Longitude: -5.6177 / 5°37'3"W
OS Eastings: 141683
OS Northings: 34555
OS Grid: SW416345
Mapcode National: GBR DXH8.RKN
Mapcode Global: VH058.LC0S
Entry Name: Milestone at SW 41682 34555, 110m north-east of Bosullow
Listing Date: 16 January 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1406892
Location: Madron, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Madron
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Madron
Church of England Diocese: Truro
A milestone, probably of early C18 date.
A dressed granite milestone which stands within an area of open moorland on the north side of the road. It is rectangular in plan with a rounded top and is approximately 0.7m high. The front (south) face has a rectangular recessed panel which carries the number 3 in bas relief. The stone itself is painted white with the number picked out in black; it also has an inscribed benchmark.
In the period before the turnpike trusts were set up from the middle of the C18, the roads in Cornwall were poor and were indeed little more than bridleways capable of carrying carts and coaches occasionally. Despite this, a small number of these routes were marked by milestones, including the road between Morvah on the north coast and Madron to the north of Penzance. This road is depicted both on Thomas Martyn's map of 1748 and on Greenwood's county map of 1827. Although the route was not a turnpike, it was important for connecting the mines on the north coast to the harbour at Penzance, the stannary town for West Cornwall. The first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1880 shows four milestones along the course of the road; although only two remain in situ. The milestone approximately 110m to the north-east of the hamlet of Bosullow marks the distance to Madron and probably dates from the early C18.
The milestone 110m north-east of Bosullow which was erected in the early C18 is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: an intact early-C18 milestone which remains in its original position;
* Historic Interest: a pre-turnpike example that is situated on a important route between the mines on the north coast and Penzance harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings