History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War memorial at former St Mark's Church (Brick Lane Music Hall)

A Grade II Listed Building in Royal Docks, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5026 / 51°30'9"N

Longitude: 0.0426 / 0°2'33"E

OS Eastings: 541866

OS Northings: 180159

OS Grid: TQ418801

Mapcode National: GBR MP.3DB

Mapcode Global: VHHNJ.PHCH

Entry Name: War memorial at former St Mark's Church (Brick Lane Music Hall)

Listing Date: 3 April 2012

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1406974

Location: Newham, London, E16

County: London

District: Newham

Electoral Ward/Division: Royal Docks

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Newham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: North Woolwich; St John

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Woolwich

Summary

War memorial cross, c1920, moved 1991.

Description

The memorial, of polished grey granite with leaded lettering, takes the form of a Celtic cross set on a tall pedestal with a pedimented top, which in turn rests on a three-stage plinth. The principal inscription reads: 'In memory / of / the men / of / Silvertown / who gave their lives / in the / Great War / that we might live / 1914-1918'; to which has been added, 'and in the / Second Great War / 1939-1945'. The four faces of the upper section are inscribed, 'Remembrance', 'Honour', 'Unity' and 'Courage'. The plinth is inscribed, 'Their names shall live for ever'.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 February 2017.

History

St Mark's Church, Silvertown was built in 1860-62 by the architect Samuel Sanders Teulon. It closed for worship in 1974 and in 1981 was ravaged by fire, but the building has since been restored and is now the home of the Brick Lane Music Hall. The war memorial, commemorating the parish dead of the First World War, was erected near the south-east corner of the church c1920. After 1945 an inscription was added in honour of the Second War dead. The monument was moved to its present position in 1991.

Reasons for Listing

The war memorial at the former St Mark's Church, Silvertown, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Historic interest: commemorates the people of Silvertown parish who fell in the two World Wars.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.