This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9806 / 51°58'50"N
Longitude: -1.3226 / 1°19'21"W
OS Eastings: 446618
OS Northings: 231567
OS Grid: SP466315
Mapcode National: GBR 7TT.VTW
Mapcode Global: VHCWN.1H40
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 31 August 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1407198
Location: Deddington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Deddington
Built-Up Area: Deddington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Deddington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
House. Possibly C16, 1690, 1841 and 1845. Coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Collyweston and welsh slate roofs. 3 brick chimney stacks. 2 storey plus attics.
Street front has off-centre doorway with four-centre arched door surround and moulded hood. Half glazed door with two pointed lights. To the left two 2-light mullion windows with arched lights under flat moulded hoods and to the right a similar 3-light window with another single light window beyond. Over the door a smaller single light window with two further 2-light windows to the left, above high in the gable is another 2-light window. To the right a tall 2-light window with pointed lights which projects up into the small gable above. This gable contains a small stone trefoil and is topped with an ornate gable.
Rear facade has original stone wall to right with large 4-light mullioned window with arched lights, and to the left a four-centred arched doorway with another half-glazed door. Above two 2-light mullion windows, and a C20 dormer window above. To left a projecting brick wing carried on three pointed and chamfered stone arches incorporating a flat headed porch to the right supported on a chamfered stone pillar. Between the arches are quatrofoils with shields. This brick wing has flush ashlar quoins and a flush ashar cill band, above, a pair of tall pointed arched windows rising into a brick gable and flanked by small single light arched windows under flat hoods. To the right a plaque inscribed 'RWM 1690'.
This good quality traditional village farmhouse was restored and re-interpreted in the Victorian Era using high quality craftsmen and materials.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings