This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6341 / 52°38'2"N
Longitude: -1.1357 / 1°8'8"W
OS Eastings: 458588
OS Northings: 304384
OS Grid: SK585043
Mapcode National: GBR FGK.7N
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.J1DZ
Entry Name: Conway Buildings
Listing Date: 25 May 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1407228
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
Offices with a storage and additional office space in the yard to the rear. Dated 1878. By Stockdale Harrison (original drawings are in Leicestershire Record Office) for W W Clarkson & Co, brick and tile merchants. Red brick with stone dressings; Welsh slate roof with corbelled out decorative stacks and pierced ridge tiles. Gothic Reveal style. Main block to Grey Friars is 3 storeys and part basement. 7 bays wide.
GROUND FLOOR: Plank doors with decorative iron straps to outer bays set in moulded surrounds with quatrefoil in tympanum, all under brick arch with stone hoodmould on carved leaf capitals; panelled double doors to centre bay under overlight with grille, all set in flat, moulded, stone architrave. Paired timber sash windows with arched heads, stone surrounds with central mullion and tiled panel above.
FIRST FLOOR: 220.127.116.11.1 lancet windows in moulded stone surrounds with transoms, capitals to central piers and continuous string course; outer pairs under tile panels and central pair under stone panel inscribed "CONWAY BUILDINGS".
UPPER FLOOR: 18.104.22.168.1 timber sash windows with trefoil heads and stone lintel/string course; centre and outer pairs are set under brick arches with tiled panels and stone hoodmoulds all framed by gables corbelled out from the first floor; stone plaques in panels, the central one inscribed 1878. Cut and moulded brick cornice with acanthus decoration; stone pinnacles to centre gable. The whitewashed yard fronts behind retain mainly wooden mullion and transom windows and have elaborate sill bands and a dentil cornice. Ornamental wooden lucam where there was formerly a hoist.
INTERIOR: Dog leg stairs at either end of the building with fine cast and wrought iron balustrades and some original woodwork in rooms.
A good example of late C19 Gothic style commercial buildings by a significant local architect. The fine brickwork and use of elaborate terracotta detailing may well 'advertise' and have been provided by the patrons themselves as they were brick and tile merchants. Forms part of an important group of commercial buildings in Grey Friars and St Martins.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings