This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1029 / 51°6'10"N
Longitude: 0.7145 / 0°42'52"E
OS Eastings: 590137
OS Northings: 137239
OS Grid: TQ901372
Mapcode National: GBR QVR.TPZ
Mapcode Global: VHKKR.BJKV
Entry Name: War Memorial in the Grounds of Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 17 March 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1407263
Location: High Halden, Ashford, Kent, TN26
Civil Parish: High Halden
Built-Up Area: High Halden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
War memorial. Circa 1920. Erected by local stonemason Arthur Hilder of Tenterden. Built of grey Cornish granite in the form of a Celtic cross about six feet high with a rough granite plinth, the whole situated on a square granite step. The side of the plinth facing the road is inscribed "TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE / MEN OF THE PARISH WHO GAVE / THEIR LIFE FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ DURING THE WAR 1914-1918" followed by their names. There is a supplementary tablet on a granite step with the names of those who fell in the Second World War.
HISTORY: a faculty for the erection of this war memorial was granted by the Diocese of Canterbury in February 1920.
ASSESSMENT OF IMPORTANCE: a conventional small war memorial in the form of a Celtic cross, with strong group value. It is an important reminder of the impact of world events upon the village.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 28 November 2016
Other nearby listed buildings