This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0917 / 51°5'30"N
Longitude: -3.0148 / 3°0'53"W
OS Eastings: 329025
OS Northings: 132976
OS Grid: ST290329
Mapcode National: GBR M5.CD1S
Mapcode Global: FRA 46K7.K9G
Entry Name: The Minster Nursing Home
Listing Date: 6 February 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1407504
Location: North Petherton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: North Petherton
Built-Up Area: North Petherton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
House, originally vicarage, converted into nursing home. C17 or earlier; remodelled circa 1830s and 1840s. Rendered stone. Bridgwater clay tiles and black glazed pantile roofs with hipped and gabled ends and with paired brackets to eaves soffits. Brick axial and end stacks.
PLAN: Overall L-shaped on plan. The centre of the main front [S] range is of C17 or earlier origin, its end bays project, the left [W] is probably C19 addition, the right [E] extends as wing to rear [N] and incorporates truncated outbuilding across it at north end. Shallow range added on rear [N] in mid C19 contains stairs and entrance hall.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Nearly symmetrical 1:2:1 window south front; end bays advanced; first floor 3-light C19 Gothic windows with cusped arch lights and glazing bars, at centre of ground floor similar 4-light French casement on left and similar 3-light Gothic window on right but with Perpendicular panel tracery; the projecting end bays have on left C20 canted bay on ground floor and on right glazed door and 4-pane sash; right-hand [E] return similar sashes and truncated wing on right [N] end. Rear [N] elevation, asymmetrical 4-window range of 2-light casements with glazing bars and hoodmoulds, similar hoodmould over doorway to left of centre with fanlight and glazed and panelled door; wing projects on left [E] with C20 fire escape in angle.
INTERIOR: Central front room has two deeply chamfered cross-beams with hollow step stops, elliptical arch at centre and to alcoves, Gothic panelled window shutters and a plank door with ornate wrought-iron strap hinges and a scratch moulded frame. C19 joinery includes Tudor arch panelled door, much altered staircase and a moulded chimneypiece and Victorian fire grate on first floor. Roof over centre range has halved and lapped collars and halved apexes to the principals; tenoned purlins.
NOTE: The house was referred to in 1613 when it comprised a hall, parlour, kitchen and buttery.
SOURCE: 1613 Terrier; CRO.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings