This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0367 / 51°2'12"N
Longitude: -0.3347 / 0°20'4"W
OS Eastings: 516856
OS Northings: 127688
OS Grid: TQ168276
Mapcode National: GBR HJV.S8M
Mapcode Global: FRA B65C.Z9B
Entry Name: Newfoundout East
Listing Date: 7 September 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1407634
Location: Southwater, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Southwater
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Southwater Holy Innocents
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
House, at a later time subdivided. Mid C17, infilled in brick in the C18 and refenestrated in the early C20. The late C20 brick extension to the east and late C20 conservatory to the west are not of special interest. Timberframed, with box-framing visible on the ground floor of the south and west sides, otherwise the ground floor is of red brick or red brick infill, apart from some sandstone in the rear elevation. The first floor of all but the rear elevation is clad in weatherboarding. Tiled roof with off central brick chimneystack, rebuilt above the ridge in the late C19, and catslide roof to rear
PLAN: A three bay lobby entrance house of two storeys and attics with off central chimneystack and integral outshot. The front of the building originally faced south but currently the entrance is in the north.
EXTERIOR: The south elevation (originally the front) is of two storeys: three windows. Early C20 casement windows of traditional type. The original doorcase was opposite the chimneystack but this has been replaced by Two early C20 plank doors indicating that the building was subdivided into two cottages at one time. The west side has box-framing visible to the ground floor and collar rafters projecting through the gable. The small two-light windows in the end gables are probably original mullioned windows. The north elevation has a C20 gabled dormer, five casement windows and a plank door.
INTERIOR: The ground floor west room has the timber frame exposed on two sides, a spine bean with one inch chamfer and lambs tongue stops and an open fireplace with wooden bressumer. The fireplace has a spice cupboard with wooden door and a brick breadoven. A wooden ledged door with large iron hinges leads to a wooden winder staircase. The lobby has brick paving. The east room (originally the parlour) also has brick paving and an open fireplace with wooden bressumer. The timberframed rear wall of the property is visible and is unweathered showing that the outshot is original. The first floor east room has exposed beams and original floorboards. The first floor west room has an exposed spine beam. The roof is of side purlin construction with angled queenstruts and the top of the brick chimneystack is visible in the attic.
HISTORY: Two cottages at Newfoundout are shown unnamed on the Gardner and Gream map of c1795. Newfoundout East was converted into two cottages but the second stair has been removed. In the Census Returns for 1871, which is the first time the name Newfoundout is used, James Charter, widower, stone mason, is among the occupants. "J Charter etc" were paying £1 Land Tax on cottages from 1879 to the 1890s. The house was built on land that belonged to the owners of Denne Manor from the 1840s to the 1930s and may have done for centuries before.
A substantially intact timberframed mid C17 three bay lobby entrance house of two storeys and attics with original outshot.
[Dr Annabelle F Hughes report "Newfoundout East Southwater" 1997.]
Other nearby listed buildings