This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5809 / 51°34'51"N
Longitude: -2.3189 / 2°19'8"W
OS Eastings: 377996
OS Northings: 186938
OS Grid: ST779869
Mapcode National: GBR 0N1.VZ0
Mapcode Global: VH95N.RJFG
Entry Name: War memorial
Listing Date: 23 April 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1408239
Location: Hawkesbury, South Gloucestershire, GL9
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Hawkesbury
Built-Up Area: Hawkesbury Upton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hawkesbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
A World War One war memorial, erected in 1920, with later additions to commemorate the fallen of World War Two.
The monument takes the form of a wheel cross with flared arms above a finely-carved moulded collar, on a tapering hexagonal shaft set on a three-tiered base with mouldings and offsets. The whole is set on a platform of three steps, and is approximately 5m high. The upper section of the base is inscribed TO THE / GLORY OF / GOD on the principal face; the remaining faces of this section are blank. Below this is inscribed AND IN PROUD AND / LOVING MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF / HAWKESBURY / WHO DIED FOR ENGLAND / 1914-1918. The remaining sides of this part of the base are inscribed with the 32 names of those who fell in World War One. The principal face of the lowest part of the base is inscribed 1939-1945. The flanking faces are inscribed with the names of the fallen from World War Two.
The memorial is surrounded by a wall of rubble stone brought to course, enclosing an area which is hexagonal on plan. The walls have moulded copings, and the piers at the angles have pyramidal caps. The area between the platform of the memorial and the wall is paved. There is a wrought-iron gate at the entrance to the enclosure which bears the legend LEST WE FORGET. To the right of the gate is a plaque inscribed REMEMBERED / WITH GRATITUDE / 50 YEARS ON / 1995.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.
The war memorial at Hawkesbury Upton was erected in 1920, and unveiled on 8 August of that year. It commemorated the 32 men of the parish who had lost their lives in the course of World War One. It was set up in a prominent position on a triangular green at the centre of the village, alongside the High Street. Among those commemorated is Allen Algernon Bathurst, Lord Apsley, DSO, MC, TD, DL (3 August 1895 – 17 December 1942) who was a British Conservative Party politician. Following World War Two, the names of the seven men who had died in that conflict were added to the memorial, and a new, hexagonal enclosure was constructed around the memorial. In 1995, fifty years after the end of World War Two, a plaque was added to the perimeter wall.
The war memorial at Hawkesbury Upton is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and dignified memorial, and its inscriptions;
* Group value: with the listed buildings which form its backdrop.
Other nearby listed buildings