This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6233 / 51°37'23"N
Longitude: -0.5525 / 0°33'9"W
OS Eastings: 500299
OS Northings: 192596
OS Grid: TQ002925
Mapcode National: GBR F6X.549
Mapcode Global: VHFSQ.CGRG
Entry Name: Greene House at the National Society for Epilepsy
Listing Date: 27 August 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1408263
Location: Chalfont St. Peter, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, SL9
Civil Parish: Chalfont St. Peter
Built-Up Area: Gerrards Cross
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Chalfont St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
House for male residents. Designed 1897, built 1899 to the designs of Maurice B Adams, Mr Darlington contractor, erected at the expense of Frederick Greene. Brick with stone banding to ground floor and tile-hanging to first floor set partly within sweeping tiled roof, single-storey wings to sides and rear are part of the original plan. Greene House is a good example of the distinctive planning found at the Chalfont Centre, with a central two-storey range containing communal living areas on the ground floor and staff accommodation above, with single-storey wings to either side that formerly housed dormitories, now bedsitting rooms, and a service range to the rear, since extended. Upper windows have leaded lights under a pair of rendered gables, other opening casements renewed; those to ground floor centre in round arches set either side engaged columns that frame a further arch this with moulded keystone - containing the part-glazed door. Former sash windows to side elevations replaced by modern casements. A plaque on a pilaster at the side commemorates Frederick Greene. Interiors not inspected as understood to be altered
The former Chalfont colony was founded in 1894 to give a normal, healthy village life to epileptics. It pioneered the concept of a village community for mental patients, which was widely adopted, firstly for other epileptic hospitals and in the inter-war period for institutions serving other mental disabilities. Greene House is included as the most architectural and least altered of the villas at Chalfont Common, forming a strong group with Milton and Pearman Houses that perfectly demonstrates how the plan of the colony worked.
Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, unpublished report NBR no.100291.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings