This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2038 / 50°12'13"N
Longitude: -5.375 / 5°22'29"W
OS Eastings: 159262
OS Northings: 39200
OS Grid: SW592392
Mapcode National: GBR FX34.NR2
Mapcode Global: VH12N.S4BM
Entry Name: Milestone at Connor Downs
Listing Date: 23 April 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1409024
Location: Gwinear-Gwithian, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Gwinear-Gwithian
Built-Up Area: Connor Downs
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Phillack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
A milestone, dating from circa 1839.
A milestone, dating from circa 1839. It is triangular in plan and set on a rectangular base, with broach stops to the corners. The milestone stands approximately 0.83m high, and is painted white. The stone is inscribed to the left face with the letters HAYLE / 2 MILES / PENZANCE / 10 / LANDS END / 20, and to the right face CAMBORNE / 4 MILES / REDRUTH / 7 / TRURO / 16 which are picked out in black paint. The base of the stone is painted black.
The old road from Camborne to Hayle crossed a series of high ridges and deep valleys, via Merry Meeting, Angarrack and High Lanes, the route partly dictated by the necessity of crossing the River Hayle. In 1825, the new Hayle Causeway was opened, providing a safer and easier crossing; however, it took some time before the roads to the causeway were upgraded: an Act passed on 14 May 1839 and toll gates were advertised for letting the following year. The turnpike trust built a road on a completely new alignment from Foundry Square in Hayle to the eastern end of Connor Downs, a settlement which only exists thanks to the new road. This milestone is situated on Turnpike Road, close to the Turnpike Inn, and was installed circa 1839. It is marked in its present location on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map published in 1880.
The milestone at Connor Downs is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: it is an intact milestone dating from 1839, which remains in its original position;
* Group value: it has group value with the other listed milestones along this former turnpike route;
* Historic interest: it testifies to the great wave of C18 and C19 road improvement, undertaken by Turnpike Trusts.
Other nearby listed buildings