History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rockingham Road Bridge (BHL5333)

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbury, West Berkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3972 / 51°23'49"N

Longitude: -1.3303 / 1°19'49"W

OS Eastings: 446687

OS Northings: 166670

OS Grid: SU466666

Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.6J6

Mapcode Global: VHCZJ.W4LS

Entry Name: Rockingham Road Bridge (BHL5333)

Listing Date: 17 July 2012

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1409266

Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Newbury

Built-Up Area: Newbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Newbury

Summary

A slightly skew segmental arch road overbridge, spanning a cutting, erected c. 1845-47.

Description

MATERIALS: original handmade red brick, with some red engineering brick patching and GWR red and purple engineering brick to the tops of the parapets. English bond.

DESCRIPTION: single segmental arch with c. 36ft span springing from abutments which incline inwards. Each abutment pierced by three segmental arched recesses. The carriageway is unusually wide at 24ft between parapets. The bridge faces, with stepped string course, continue in an elegantly gentle curve to form slightly raked wing walls, where the humped-back parapets terminate in piers expressed on the external face only. The parapets raised in the C20 with five courses of engineering brick and a steeply pitched rendered coping.

This is an unusual design for Brunel.

History

Rockingham Road Bridge was built c. 1845-47 as part of the Berkshire and Hampshire Railway. This railway line from Reading to Newbury, opened in 1847, was the outcome of a dispute between the Great Western Railway (GWR) and the London and South Western Railway about the provision of a railway to Newbury. The GWR originally proposed to reach the town by a branch from the main line at Pangbourne, but eventually settled on the present route. This was built by a subsidiary company to the GWR, the Berkshire and Hampshire Railway. The engineer was Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-59) who, as with the main line, designed the line on the broad gauge. Having previously dismissed the idea of a route to Bristol via Newbury and the Vale of Pewsey he did not regard this as a major project: it only became part of the direct GWR route to Exeter in 1906. It is not known who was the Resident Engineer for the project.

Since construction there have been no major alterations, apart from some patching, and the parapets raised in the C20.

Although common nationally, single-arch bridges were less common on GWR lines where the wider triple-arch bridge was favoured. Only two intact single-arch bridges remain on this line, and there is no other bridge to this design by Brunel, who preferred the elliptical arch. Since the bridge is sufficiently high and wide that the unusual form of the arch was not necessary on engineering grounds, it is possible that is was designed in this way for aesthetic reasons. The arch and raking abutments are visible from the station platform beyond the vertical abutments of the now much-altered intervening bridge and it is possible that it was intended to be seen, while travelling at slow speed on arrival and departure.

Reasons for Listing

Rockingham Road Bridge is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Selectivity: the only example to this design of a Brunel single-span segmental arched bridge with raking abutments;
* Design, engineering and material interest: well-preserved, elegant, Brunel period bridge of unique design, that was possible determined by aesthetics as much as on engineering grounds, built of handmade brick;
* Historic interest: built by the Hampshire and Berkshire Railway for the Reading-Newbury line, by an assistant engineer to Brunel’s specification; opened 1847, became part of GWR line to Exeter in 1906.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.