History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Well head, attached revetment walls and steps c74m East of Court Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Backwell, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4119 / 51°24'42"N

Longitude: -2.7279 / 2°43'40"W

OS Eastings: 349473

OS Northings: 168345

OS Grid: ST494683

Mapcode National: GBR JK.Q6K0

Mapcode Global: VH88R.NSR1

Entry Name: Well head, attached revetment walls and steps c74m East of Court Farm

Listing Date: 8 October 2012

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1409364

Location: Backwell, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Backwell

Built-Up Area: Backwell

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Flax Bourton

Summary

An C18 well and well head, possibly of medieval origins, repaired in the C19 and C20

Description

MATERIAL: the well is constructed of limestone rubble

DESCRIPTION: the well head is a conical shape with a domed top. It has stone revetment walls on either side. It is built into a bank over a natural spring. The entrance arch has thick walls and is c2m in height. Iron hinges in the stone work suggest this would have originally been gated. Inside the well are the petrified remains of a wooden shelf opposite the entrance. Stone steps lead down to the arched entrance within the west elevation. A mid-C20 wall has been added above the well head and is not included in the designation.


History

The well at Court Farm is thought to have medieval origins and there are early records of a well at this location with stone walls on either side and above. A deed of Backwell Manor from 1709 mentions the rights to use the ‘well called Backwell’ at Court Farm. Court Farm (Grade II) is a mid- to late-C17 farmhouse. The well was in use as a source of the water to the building until at least 1939. In the mid C20 a retaining wall was added above. Local tradition suggests that this well may have been the water source which can be attributed to the naming of the parish of Backwell.

Reasons for Listing

Well head, attached revetment walls and steps c74m East of Court Farm, Backwell is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Date: it dates from at least the early C18 with possible earlier origins;
* Architectural interest: it has a substantial well head with an unusual conical shape and a prominent stone arch entrance;
* Communal interest: as well as serving Court Farm it is likely the water source was used by others in the parish, and the well is a strong candidate for the name source of Backwell parish;
* Group value: it has strong group value with the listed Court Farm.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.