History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drinking Trough

A Grade II Listed Building in Grove Park, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.4433 / 51°26'36"N

Longitude: 0.0155 / 0°0'55"E

OS Eastings: 540166

OS Northings: 173521

OS Grid: TQ401735

Mapcode National: GBR LY.W05

Mapcode Global: VHHNQ.7Z1F

Entry Name: Drinking Trough

Listing Date: 1 October 2012

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1410037

Location: Lewisham, London, SE12

County: London

District: Lewisham

Electoral Ward/Division: Grove Park

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Lewisham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Lee St Mildred

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in


A Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association trough of 1888.


The trough is of granite and takes the form of a narrow rectangular trough for horses or cattle, supported at either end on a square block. Between these blocks, resting on the ground, is a shallow trough for dogs. At the southern end of the trough is an ogee gable with a projecting semi-circular drinking bowl for humans, and a decorative bell-shaped spout.

On the east side of the trough is the inscription: METROPOLITAN DRINKING FOUNDATION AND CATTLE TROUGH ASSOCIATION. On the west side is the inscription: ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION 1888. To the south, beneath the drinking bowl, is the inscription: A CUP OF COLD WATER IN HIS NAME.


This drinking trough was erected by public subscription in 1888 by the MDFCTA. By this time Lee, having been a village outside London, was becoming enveloped into London's suburban growth. Harland Road is to the south of the historic centre of Lee, and was not laid out until 1930, meaning the trough must have been moved from its original location.

In the early C19 water supplies to London and other large towns and cities was inadequate for the needs of the population, badly contaminated, and responsible to a great degree for the high mortality rate. Animals also often experienced acute suffering in C19 cities; horses were frequently worked to death, and cattle could be driven to market on hoof for two or three days without water. However, philanthropic bodies and civic amenity groups played a significant role in advancing sanitary improvements from the 1850s onwards. Foremost amongst such organisations was the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain Association, founded in 1859, which was responsible for establishing a great number of drinking fountains which provided free, clean, water to all. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals recognised the value of the Association, and as a result a large number of troughs were erected to provide free water for cattle, horses and dogs; prompting the Association to change in its name in 1867 to the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association.

Early troughs were experimental in construction; iron and zinc-lined timber were used, before granite was adopted as the most durable material. The troughs erected by the MDFCTA not only bear the name of the organisation, but are readily identifiable by their design.

Reasons for Listing

The Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association trough at Harland Road, Lee is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: troughs such as this are reminders of the now-vanished presence of animals in city life, and reflect important changes in the attitude towards animal welfare in the later C19, through the work of charities such as the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association (MDFCTA);
* Form: a robust granite trough designed for the use of humans, drove animals and dogs with inscriptions affirming that it was erected by the association by public subscription.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.