This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.709 / 51°42'32"N
Longitude: -1.7815 / 1°46'53"W
OS Eastings: 415192
OS Northings: 201165
OS Grid: SP151011
Mapcode National: GBR 4SJ.SHN
Mapcode Global: VHB2V.29JQ
Entry Name: Fairford War Memorial
Listing Date: 25 July 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1410136
Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Fairford
Built-Up Area: Fairford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
A First World War memorial, dating from 1919, designed by Ernest Gimson.
MATERIALS: the whole structure is constructed from local limestone.
PLAN: the memorial is set on an octagonal plinth approximately 2m wide and 1m high.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is approximately 5.9m in height. It takes the form of a cross contained in a lozenge-shaped, coped head, set on a tapering octagonal column which terminates in an octagonal base with moulded fields. The cross contained within the coped head, which is partly weathered, is carved to resemble the branches of a tree, perhaps symbolising the Tree of Life, with the three upper arms of the cross taking the form of multiple smaller branches, with foliage. The tapering octagonal column terminates in an octagonal base. Carved into the sides of the base is the legend: IN THE MEMORY OF THE MEN OF FAIRFORD WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES SERVING IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918. Below are moulded fields into which are carved the names of the Fallen - 34 in total - giving their initials and surnames. The base sits on a wide octagonal plinth, its facets carrying moulded fields. The octagonal plinth is topped by a moulded, overhanging cap. Moulded fields run around the plinth, and in one is carved the names of the eleven Fallen from the Second World War. Above their initials and surnames is the legend: ALSO 1939 - 1945.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.
The war memorial at Fairford was funded by public subscription, led by the Fairford War Memorial Committee. It was erected in 1919 by Messrs Farmer Brothers under the supervision of the architect Norman Jewson, to plans by his friend and colleague, the architect and designer Ernest Gimson, who was terminally ill at the time he designed the memorial, and died soon after its construction was completed. During the 1930s the architectural historian Sir Nikolaus Pevsner described Gimson as “the greatest of the English artist-craftsmen”. Greatly influenced by the design work of William Morris (1834 - 1896) Gimson joined the firm of John Dando Sedding. He thus came into contact with progressive exponents of the Arts and Crafts movement, in which he and his colleagues, the Barnsley brothers, were to become important figures. In 1892 Ernest Gimson, together with Sidney Barnsley and his brother Ernest, resolved to move to the country, and settled in the Cotswolds, first at Ewen near Cirencester, and later at nearby Pinbury Park. They set up their own craft workshops, first at Pinbury but later and more permanently at Daneway House in Sapperton, where the medieval and C17 manor provided suitable inspiration and showroom space for their furnishings, which were designed in a style which revived rural crafts and forms and began an Arts and Crafts movement in the Cotswolds in the period. The memorial, which was originally planned to be sited in the Market Place in Fairford, was instead set up in the churchyard at St Mary's Church, off the High Street. It was unveiled on 21 October 1920 in a ceremony during which it was dedicated by the Bishop of Gloucester. It commemorated the 34 men of the parish who had lost their lives in the course of World War One. Following World War Two, the names of the 11 men who had died in that conflict were added to the memorial.
The war memorial at Fairford is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and dignified memorial, and its inscriptions, and its association with Ernest Gimson, a recognised architect and designer;
* Group value: with the listed buildings which form its setting, in particular the Church of St Mary (Grade I) and the numerous churchyard monuments listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings