This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4583 / 51°27'30"N
Longitude: 0.172 / 0°10'19"E
OS Eastings: 550993
OS Northings: 175500
OS Grid: TQ509755
Mapcode National: GBR SS.S1Q
Mapcode Global: VHHNS.XLSW
Entry Name: Crayford War Memorial in grounds of Crayford Manor
Listing Date: 13 November 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1410311
Location: Bexley, London, DA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Crayford
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bexley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Crayford St Paulinus
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
War memorial, unveiled in 1954.
DATE: war memorial unveiled on 13 June 1954. Constructed by Messrs S G and A Agombar with the bronze plaques by Messrs Comyn Ching and Co. Ltd. Moderne style.
MATERIALS: constructed of brick in English bond with bronze panels.
DESCRIPTION: comprises a free-standing brick wall divided into five panels, with gabled brick coping. The central panel is taller with ramped up coping with tiles on edge in the corners and on the south-west side has three attached bronze panels.
The central panel has the inscription 'CRAYFORD MEMORIAL GARDEN' with the shield of Kent below. Below this is the inscription:
'THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD,AS WE WHO ARE LEFT GROW OLD:/AGE SHALL NOT WEARY THEM, NOR THE /YEARS CONDEMN,/ AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN,AND IN THE MORNING/WE WILL REMEMBER THEM./ LAURENCE BINYON/
(Laurence Binyon (1869-1943) is the poet from whose poem "For the Fallen" the inscription is taken.)
The two outer panels have the names of the fallen from both world wars. The left side panel has 142 names of His Majesty's forces who perished in the First World War. Below this are names of His Majesty's forces who perished in the Second World War but this is continued on the right side plaque, 153 names in all. Below on the right hand plaque are the names of 68 Second World War civilian casualties.
Brick planters are attached to the side panels on the south-east side and in front of the centre is a detached low rectangular-shaped brick planter.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.
This War Memorial was unveiled on July 9 1954 to commemorate the war dead of both world wars from the parish of Crayford. According to the 13 January 1954 minutes of Crayford Urban District the structure was built by Messrs S G and A Agombar. The minutes of 10 March 1954 record that the three bronze plaques were provided by Messrs Comyn Ching and Co. Ltd.
Crayford War Memorial, unveiled in 1954, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Form and design: this war memorial is not built to a standard design but rather as a memorial garden comprising a brick wall with attached plaques and planters;
* Inscriptions: it bears the inscriptions of the casualties of the two world wars and
unusually includes a number of local civilian casualties;
* Intactness: the memorial is unaltered;
* Rarity and historic interest: memorials erected after the Second World War, such as this one, are rare nationally. This is the only war memorial commemorating the Crayford casualties of both world wars.
Other nearby listed buildings