This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1563 / 50°9'22"N
Longitude: -5.2288 / 5°13'43"W
OS Eastings: 169464
OS Northings: 33468
OS Grid: SW694334
Mapcode National: GBR Z3.K9KZ
Mapcode Global: VH12Y.BB3H
Entry Name: Milestone in front of Ruby Terrace, Porkellis
Listing Date: 12 July 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1410384
Location: Wendron, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Wendron
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Wendron
Church of England Diocese: Truro
A milestone, dating from the early-mid-C19.
A milestone, dating from circa mid-C19, a dressed granite monolith. It has a triangular head, and is worn at the edges. It stands circa 0.94m high and circa 0.33m wide. The stone is painted white, and there is an incised inscription to the front, picked out in black paint:
This milestone, and six companion stones (already listed at Grade II), were not part of a turnpike route, but rather served local traffic between mining areas. They were probably erected by the neighbouring parish transport boards, as the inscriptions on the stones differ across the parish boundary. Due to the merging of Wendron Parish and North Helston Parish in 1863, the stones are likely to predate this year, probably being of early-mid-C19 origin. The milestone is marked in its current position on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map published in 1880. These milestones refer to the former mining hamlet of Carn Menellis, later renamed Penmarth.
The milestone in front of Ruby Terrace, Porkellis is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: it is an intact early-mid-C19 milestone, which remains in its original position;
* Historic Interest: it testifies to the great wave of C19 road improvement, in this case undertaken by parish highway boards. The Porkellis milestone is the only surviving evidence of the former mining hamlet of Carn Menellis.
Other nearby listed buildings