This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2118 / 50°12'42"N
Longitude: -5.3333 / 5°19'59"W
OS Eastings: 162274
OS Northings: 39964
OS Grid: SW622399
Mapcode National: GBR FX63.XH1
Mapcode Global: VH12H.HXVZ
Entry Name: Milestone approximately 356m north-east of Merry Meeting Farm
Listing Date: 30 July 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1410393
Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14
Civil Parish: Camborne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Penponds
Church of England Diocese: Truro
Milestone of mid-C19 date
A dressed and painted mid-C19 (c1839) granite milestone adjacent to an un-classified road (former A30), set on the eastern side within the hedge bank, 356m north east of Merry Meeting Farm. The base of the milestone is buried within the hedge bank. A triangular shaft with a pyramidal cap stands to a height of 71cm (28 inches). The panels are incised with 32mm (1¼ inch) high letters that have been increased in size to 50mm (2 inches) by painting over the margins. The northern panel carries the inscription HAYLE 4 MILES PENZANCE 12 LANDS END 22 , and the southern panel is inscribed CAMBORNE 2 MILES REDRUTH 5 TRURO 14. The triangular shaft has suffered some wear to the arrises, it is painted white and the inscribed letters are picked out in black.
The opening of the Hayle Causeway in 1825 brought about a desire to develop a new turnpike to link Redruth with Hayle to improve transport and trading opportunities for the mines in the area. An Act (“Vc.12) enabling the construction of a turnpike along the route was passed on 14th May 1839. Carved granite milestones were erected along the turnpike from Redruth, through Camborne to the Hayle Causeway, and thence to Penzance along the current route of the A30. All of these milestones were of a similar size and style, with lettering cut flush into the face of the stone. Over the years, these stones suffered attritional damage requiring the turnpike trust to re-inscribe the lettering.
The milestone approximately 356m north-east of Merry Meeting Farm, Camborne is designated at Grade II for the following reasons:
* Intactness: as an intact milestone which remains in its original position and was associated with the Redruth to Hayle turnpike (1839);
* Historic interest: the milestone was erected when there was an increase in freight traffic associated with the growing mining industry in the area;
* Group Value: it forms a group with other surviving milestones along the Redruth to Hayle turnpike.
Other nearby listed buildings