This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.415 / 51°24'53"N
Longitude: -0.7498 / 0°44'59"W
OS Eastings: 487039
OS Northings: 169182
OS Grid: SU870691
Mapcode National: GBR D7V.97W
Mapcode Global: VHDX3.YPHM
Entry Name: Bracknell War Memorial
Listing Date: 18 October 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1410904
Location: Bracknell, Bracknell Forest, RG12
County: Bracknell Forest
Civil Parish: Bracknell
Built-Up Area: Bracknell
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Bracknell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
War memorial, 1924, moved to present site 1950.
MATERIALS: limestone with marble inset panels
DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of an angel statue on a stepped base, raised atop a tall Gothic plinth. The angel points heavenwards and carries a trumpet. The base is carved with a simple wreath. The plinth has stepped diagonal buttresses at the corners.
The inscription on the front panel reads: 'In memory of / the men of Bracknell / and district / who gave their lives / for King and Country / in the Great War 1914-1918 / "greater love hath no man than this". The side panels both read, 'And in the World War / 1939-1945'. The rear panel reads: 'Saith / the Angel / "these are they that have / done their duty in this world / and have won everlasting peace; / and ye also will do the same / if ye follow their good example"'.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.
Bracknell's war memorial was erected in 1924 to commemorate the dead of World War I. It originally stood on the edge of the old town, at the junction of Binfield Road and Wokingham Road, but was moved to its present location in 1950 as part of the development of Bracknell New Town.
Bracknell war memorial, erected in 1924 and moved to its present position in 1950, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Historic and communal interest: commemorates the fallen of the two World Wars.
Other nearby listed buildings