This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7149 / 51°42'53"N
Longitude: -1.9055 / 1°54'19"W
OS Eastings: 406624
OS Northings: 201796
OS Grid: SP066017
Mapcode National: GBR 3R0.K1D
Mapcode Global: VHB2R.X5H7
Entry Name: War Memorial
Listing Date: 11 September 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1411036
Location: Ampney Crucis, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Ampney Crucis
Built-Up Area: Ampney Crucis
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Ampney Crucis The Holy Rood
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
A War Memorial, architect unknown, dating from 1920-1, commemorating the Fallen of both the First and Second World Wars.
MATERIALS: local limestone.
PLAN: the memorial is set on an octagonal platform circa 1.1m across.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands circa 4.4m high. It comprises a small cross with cusping to the arms set on a tapering octagonal shaft topped with a moulded and crenellated capital. The shaft terminates in a square base with broach stops. The base of the shaft carries a relief-carved shield with a crown of thorns, set within an ogee-headed field with cusping. The base stands on a rectangular plinth. The east face of the plinth carries the carved inscription: THIS· CROSS· WAS· ERECTED / BY· THE· INHABITANTS· OF· / AMPNEY· CRUCIS / IN· MEMORY· OF· THE· MEN / WHO· FELL / IN· THE· GREAT· WAR / 1914-1918 / WHOSE· NAMES / ARE· INSCRIBED· HEREON / AND· IN· THANKFULNESS· FOR / THE· SAFE· RETURN / OF· MANY· OTHERS· WHO· WENT / FROM· THIS· VILLAGE. The north and south faces of the plinth are inscribed with the ranks, names and regiments of the Fallen: twenty in total. The west face is inscribed with a cross and below: THEIR NAME / LIVETH / FOR / EVERMORE / ECCLESIASTICUS· 44· 14. The plinth rests on a three-stepped platform. The east face of the upper step carries the carved inscription: THE WORLD WAR / 1939-1945. The faces of the step below carries the ranks, names regiments and services of the Fallen, four in total. On the north side of the lowest step is an applied stone plaque, inscribed: RENOVATION CARRIED OUT BY / THE SCHRODER FAMILY / NOVEMBER 2008.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.
The memorial was erected in 1920-1 on land made available by the then landowner, Sir Frederick Cripps. Funding was jointly provided by Sir Frederick and local residents, with an additional £50 granted by an unknown benefactor. The memorial was dedicated during a ceremony of unveiling in 1921.
The war memorial at Ampney Crucis is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and dignified memorial;
* Group value: with the listed buildings and structures to north and south of the memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings