This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0581 / 52°3'29"N
Longitude: -1.7322 / 1°43'55"W
OS Eastings: 418457
OS Northings: 240002
OS Grid: SP184400
Mapcode National: GBR 4NB.T25
Mapcode Global: VHB13.XJMM
Entry Name: War memorial
Listing Date: 31 October 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1411546
Location: Ebrington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55
Civil Parish: Ebrington
Built-Up Area: Ebrington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Ebrington St Eadburgha
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
A war memorial, dating from circa 1921, architect unknown.
MATERIALS: local limestone.
PLAN: the memorial is set on an octagonal platform circa 2m across.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a cross set on a tapering, octagonal shaft with a plainly-moulded collar below. The cross has stubby conical terminals to the three arms. The cross has a moulded foot and is set into a wide, octagonal drum base with mouldings to top and bottom, a sloping upper surface, and recessed fields to the eight sides. One of the fields is inscribed with carved lettering: THIS MEMORIAL WAS / ERECTED BY PARISHIONERS / OF EBRINGTON AND OTHER / FRIENDS AND THE GROUND / ON WHICH IT STANDS WAS / GIVEN BY THE RIGHT / HONOURABLE HUGH 4TH EARL / FORTESCUE·A·D·1921. Another field is inscribed: IN THANKFULNESS TO / GOD AND IN GRATEFUL/MEMORY OF THE MEN OF / THIS PARISH WHO LAID / DOWN THEIR LIVES FOR / KING AND COUNTRY. Below this field, on the surround: A·D·1914-1919. The remaining fields are inscribed with the names of the Fallen, ten in total, their awards and the dates on which they died or were reported missing. The drum base is set on a wider, octagonal plinth, which has deeply-moulded top and base, and is inscribed in remembrance of the Fallen of World War Two: TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH / WHO FELL IN THE WORLD WAR 1939-1945. Two of the remaining sides are inscribed with the names and titles of those who are commemorated, and the years in which each of the five Fallen died. The whole structure is set on a platform of three plain steps.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.
The war memorial at Ebrington was erected in circa 1921. It commemorated the ten men of the village who had lost their lives in the course of World War One. The land on which the memorial stands was given in 1921 by Hugh Fortescue, 4th Earl Fortescue KCB (1854-1932) of Ebrington and Filleigh, Devon. The cost of the memorial was met by public subscription. It was set up in a prominent position opposite the raised ground of the triangular green at the centre of the village, at the junction of three roads. Following World War Two, the names of the five men who had died in that conflict were added to the memorial; they include Hugh Peter Fortescue, Viscount Ebrington (1920-42), whose grandfather gave the land on which the memorial stands.
The war memorial at Ebrington is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and dignified memorial;
* Group value: with the listed buildings and structures to north and south of the memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings