History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Camerton, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.315 / 51°18'53"N

Longitude: -2.4506 / 2°27'2"W

OS Eastings: 368690

OS Northings: 157412

OS Grid: ST686574

Mapcode National: GBR JX.XJ7T

Mapcode Global: VH89H.G6TS

Entry Name: War Memorial

Listing Date: 19 November 2012

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1411893

Location: Camerton, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Camerton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Camerton

Summary

War memorial, erected in 1920.

Description

MATERIALS: the whole structure is constructed from Portland stone.

PLAN: the memorial is set on a rectangular base.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands some 3.2m high. It takes the form of an elaborately-carved cross on a tapering four-sided shaft which is splayed where it meets the plinth. The lower part of the north face of the shaft is carved: 'FAITHFUL / UNTO DEATH.' It stands on a tapered, rectangular plinth which in turn rests on a chamfered base and a platform. The principal (north) face of the plinth has carved foliage below which is a metal plaque dated AD 2000. The upper part of the plaque bears the legend: 'In Proud and Grateful Memory of those from Camerton / who fell fighting for their Country in two world wars.' Listed below are the name, rank and regiment of the twelve men who lost their lives in the First World War and the six who died during the Second World War. The north face of the base bears the text: 'ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION'.


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 August 2017.

History

The great age of memorial building was in the aftermath of the First World War. The war memorial in the churchyard of St Peter's Church was erected in June 1920 and was funded by public subscription. It commemorates the twelve men of the parish who had lost their lives in the course of the First World War, including Chief Petty Officer George Prowse VC DCM RNVR (29 August 1896 – 27 September 1918) who was a recipient of the Victoria Cross. He served with the Royal Naval Division during the Gallipoli Campaign and in France on the Western Front where he was killed in action before the award of either of his decorations was announced.

Following the Second World War Two, the names of the six men who had died in that conflict were added to the memorial.

Reasons for Listing

The war memorial in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter, Camerton is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this dignified memorial;
* Group value: with the listed buildings which form its setting, namely the Grade I Church of St Peter, and a lych gate which is listed at Grade II.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.