This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.528 / 51°31'40"N
Longitude: -2.1313 / 2°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 390984
OS Northings: 181012
OS Grid: ST909810
Mapcode National: GBR 1QD.1ZG
Mapcode Global: VH95Z.0VLK
Entry Name: Building 22
Listing Date: 1 December 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1412678
Location: Stanton St. Quintin, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Stanton St. Quintin
Built-Up Area: Lower Stanton St Quintin
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton St Quintin
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
Lubricant store. 1935-6. A Bulloch, architectural advisor to the Air Ministry's Directorate of Works and Buildings. Drawing No 1967/34. Bath stone ashlar on brick, asphalt flat roof.
PLAN: A small free-standing flat-roofed rectangular building, with a small, slightly set back and lower lobby at each end.
EXTERIOR: Windows are steel casement with horizontal bars. The front to the road has pairs of doors each side of a central cross-wall division, under ventilating louvres. To each side is a high 2-light casement, incorporating high-level louvres, and all these under a plain lintel-band taken round the unit as a string course, below a high, flush-coped parapet. At each end, set back, a lobby with single light, and on the returned ends a single door in plain square opening. The back has four 2-light casements with ventilators, as to the front.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
HISTORY: This building is one of a group of technical buildings at this nationally important site that are both substantially complete - with original windows and other fitments - and which display the successful fusion of functional and aesthetic requirements that distinguished the early phase of the post-1934 expansion of the RAF. Buildings 20, 22, 23, 24 and 25 all face onto the avenue behind the hangar line, and that bisects the main SE-NW axis of the site.
Hullavington, which opened on June 6th 1937 as a Flying Training Station, is in every respect the key station most strongly representative of the improved architectural quality characteristic of the air bases developed under the post-1934 expansion of the RAF. Its position in the west of England with other training and maintenance bases also prompted its selection in 1938 as one of series of Aircraft Storage Units for the storage of vital reserves destined for the operational front-line. For further details on the site, see Buildings 59, 60 and 61 (The Officers' Mess).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings