This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5307 / 51°31'50"N
Longitude: -2.129 / 2°7'44"W
OS Eastings: 391150
OS Northings: 181316
OS Grid: ST911813
Mapcode National: GBR 1Q6.W15
Mapcode Global: VH95Z.1SVG
Entry Name: Building 77 (Guardhouse), Aircraft Storage Unit Site
Listing Date: 1 December 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1412683
Location: St. Paul Malmesbury Without, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: St. Paul Malmesbury Without
Built-Up Area: Lower Stanton St Quintin
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Corston and Rodbourne
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST PAUL MALMESBURY WITHOUT
Building 77 (Guardhouse), Aircraft Storage Unit site
Office. 1938, by the Air Ministry's Directorate of Works and Buildings. Drawing no. 2878/37. Bath stone ashlar on brick, hipped profiled tile roof covering.
PLAN: Rectangular plan.
EXTERIOR: Single-storey, 5-bay range. Parapet to lintel band, to the front being a 5-bay verandah/loggia with stylised columns and panelled double doors with overlight flanked by ashlar cheeks and each side two 2-light steel casements with horizontal glazing bars. Similar casement in each end wall.
INTERIOR: retains original joinery including panelled doors.
HISTORY: This building, a fine example of the high quality of post-1934 RAF architecture, comprises part of a remarkably complete technical group, established to the N of the main group on this nationally-important base for the purpose of providing repair and administration facilities to the Aircraft Storage Unit.
Hullavington, which opened on June 6th 1937 as a Flying Training Station, is in every respect the key station most strongly representative of the improved architectural quality characteristic of the air bases developed under the post-1934 expansion of the RAF. Its position in the west of England with other training and maintenance bases also prompted its selection in 1938 as one of series of Aircraft Storage Units for the storage of vital reserves destined for the operational front-line. For further details on the site, see Buildings 59, 60 and 61 (The Officers' Mess).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings