This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8803 / 51°52'49"N
Longitude: -1.0094 / 1°0'33"W
OS Eastings: 468282
OS Northings: 220656
OS Grid: SP682206
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z7.3M2
Mapcode Global: VHDTN.GZ6Y
Entry Name: Grendon Underwood War Memorial
Listing Date: 25 February 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1412840
Location: Grendon Underwood, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Grendon Underwood
Built-Up Area: Grendon Underwood
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Grendon Underwood
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
War memorial. Erected in 1921. Additional inscription added after World War II.
The memorial, set on a grassed area, consists of a York stone obelisk, with a total height of 2.3m, set on a square base and pedestal with scotia moulding. The northern face of the obelisk has a wreath in high relief and below it the inscription reads: ‘ERECTED/ TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOUR OF/ THE MEN OF/ GRENDON UNDERWOOD/ WHO SERVED THEIR/ KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918./ IN MEMORIUM.’ Below are the names of the three fallen with their rank and regiment or ship. Beneath this is the inscription ‘LEST WE FORGET’. The eastern face lists those wounded or taken prisoner and the western face those who also served. The southern face has the inscription: ‘ALSO/ IN GRATEFUL/ REMEMBRANCE OF/ ALL FROM THIS/ PARISH/ WHO SERVED/ IN THE/ SECOND WORLD/ WAR/ 1939 – 1945’ followed by the names.
The memorial is surrounded by iron chains linking four timber posts. The adjoining memorial bench is not of special interest.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
The war memorial was unveiled by Major General Sir Robert Fanshawe on 16 May 1921 on land on the south side of Main Street, donated to the parish by Miss Adeline Piggott of The Manor. The memorial was paid for by subscription of members of the village and the stone masons were W Wise and Son of Winslow. An unusual feature of the memorial was that it bore the names not only of the fallen, but all who served during the WWI, including those wounded or captured. The names of those who served during WWII were added to the rear of the memorial.
The Grendon Underwood War Memorial, erected on the main street of the village in 1921, is designated at Grade II for the following reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this Buckinghamshire village;
* Architectural interest: for the relatively unusual inclusion of all those from the village that served in the armed forces during World War I rather than the more usual practice of only recording the names of the fallen.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings