This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4492 / 52°26'57"N
Longitude: -2.1351 / 2°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 390915
OS Northings: 283476
OS Grid: SO909834
Mapcode National: GBR 1C5.F1B
Mapcode Global: VH91H.YP4T
Entry Name: Seven Stars Public House
Listing Date: 7 July 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1412956
Location: Dudley, DY8
Electoral Ward/Division: Pedmore and Stourbridge East
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Stourbridge
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Old Swinford, Stourbridge St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Seven Stars Public House
Formerly listed under Brook Street
Public House. 1907. Built for the Mitchell and Butler Brewery. Red English bond brick with painted stone dressings and a gabled slate roof. Two storeys with cellar. The street front has 4 canted bay windows to the ground floor with hipped roofs and etched and stained glass. There are doors at centre [to a lobby], at right [to the front bar] and at far right [originally to the off-premises sale counter] each of which has a gabled porch. There is a large lantern on a wrought iron bracket above the centre door and there is a gable above this central bay with decorative bargeboards. The gabled reveals also have decorated bargeboards and the timberwork to the eaves is also elaborately decorated. There are 4 chimneys to the ridge surviving to full height with panelled tops. At either side are square gate piers with pyramidal tops and ball finials; those at right lead to the stable yard which has a 3-bay open-fronted cart shed at right. To the left the piers have been absorbed into the facade of a C20 single-storey dining room. The interior has an almost complete original plan form with front bar at right of the lobby, Smoke Room to its rear and Club Room on the left of the lobby. Behind the lobby is the staircase hall and there are spinal and cross corridors. To the first floor at the top of the stairs is a lobby with tiling to the dado and coat hooks and at first floor right is a large function room with open roof and cornice. There is elaborate tile work of high quality to the central lobby, public bar, staircase hall, spinal and cross corridors and first floor lobby. There is original etched glass to the 4 canted bay windows on the entrance front and the smoke room windows at the rear. In the public bar the bar and bar back are original and the latter ahs tiled panels and mirrors set within 5 arched canopies. The fixed window seats have tiles to their backs. This bar also has a serving hatch with its original etched glass. The corridor areas have terrazzo flooring with coloured borders. The staircase has carved Jacobethan newel posts and balusters. In the Smoke Room is a long upholstered fixed bench running around 3 sides of the room with bell pushes to the wall board and carved arm rests. Etched glass panels in the doors identify the functions of the different rooms and there is one labelled "BEER GARDEN" which now leads to a service room.
This public house of 1907 retains its original plan form and many original features, most notably excellent tilework to the bar and public areas.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.