This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3611 / 52°21'39"N
Longitude: -1.2857 / 1°17'8"W
OS Eastings: 448736
OS Northings: 273906
OS Grid: SP487739
Mapcode National: GBR 7P6.ZPN
Mapcode Global: VHCTQ.NXND
Entry Name: Classical Monument to South-West of Tower of Church
Listing Date: 25 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1413893
Location: Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22
Electoral Ward/Division: Bilton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Rugby
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Bilton St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Classical Monument to south-west of tower of Church
Church of St Mark
Headstone. Mid-C18. Local pink sandstone classical style headstone with semi-circular top. West face is divided into 2 rectangular panels by 3 Doric pilasters resting on plain plinth with entablature and the words 'IN MEMORY OF' to segmental pediment; the letter 'N' of the word 'IN' is backwards. Inscriptions to panels now largely illegible but the words 'Sarah ?Wavell' can be made out on the southern panel. Eastern face of headstone plain save for inscription commemorating John Bosworth (d.1759) and his wife, Mary (d.1749). A handsome headstone showing the growing influence of classical forms, while retaining a rustic appearance.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings