This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3614 / 52°21'41"N
Longitude: -1.2853 / 1°17'7"W
OS Eastings: 448765
OS Northings: 273946
OS Grid: SP487739
Mapcode National: GBR 7P6.ZVP
Mapcode Global: VHCTQ.NXW3
Entry Name: Gothic Tomb to North of North Aisle of Church of St Mark
Listing Date: 25 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1413895
Location: Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22
Electoral Ward/Division: Bilton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Rugby
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Bilton St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Gothic Tomb to North of North Aisle of Church of St Mark
Churchyard monument in the form of a canopied shrine on 2 low steps. Limestone ashlar. Mid C19. Rectangular plan with open trefoil-arched gable ends to east and west and 3 pointed moulded arches, also open, to long sides; roof is of limestone slabs, carved to resemble fishscale tiles with roll moulding and decorative iron cresting to ridge; grave slab to base has raised cross to lid; chamfered plinth. Brass plaques to base of each arch have armorial shields to gable ends and inscriptions to the remainder, now all missing save one commemorating Julian Hibbert (d.1834) and another Dorothy Masrsfield (d.1848), wife of Thomas Hibbert. The Hibbert family lived at Bilton Grange, near Dunchurch, built by A.W.N. Pugin in 1841-6 and both this connection and the style of the monument itself suggest that the tomb may have been designed by Pugin.
References: N. Pevsner & A. Wedgwood, Buildings of England: Warwickshire (1966), 94-5; The Parish Church of Bilton- a Guide to St Mark's (2000).
Other nearby listed buildings