History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Red House

A Grade II Listed Building in Froxfield, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0353 / 51°2'7"N

Longitude: -0.9576 / 0°57'27"W

OS Eastings: 473182

OS Northings: 126737

OS Grid: SU731267

Mapcode National: GBR CBW.4NY

Mapcode Global: FRA 86WC.W61

Entry Name: The Red House

Listing Date: 5 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1414012

Location: Froxfield, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU32

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Froxfield and Privett

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Froxfield St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Hawkley

Listing Text

SU 72 NW
SP1045

FROXFIELD
COCKSHOTT LANE
The Red House

II

House. Designed by Alfred Hoare Powell in 1909 for the poet Edward Thomas. The house was built by Geoffrey Hamilton Lupton (1882-1949), who had studied under Gimson, on his own land, and some interior fittings are by Edward Barnsley. L-shaped building in vernacular style. Built of handmade orange 2½ inch bricks in English bond with deep handmade tiled, gambrel roof with timber framed attic behind. 3 Tudor style brick chimney stacks with round-headed arches. 1 storey and attics. The principal feature of the north or entrance front is a projecting porch with octagonal oak piers on brick pilasters and a room above. Cambered oak door with studs and fine iron hinges and sidelights. To right is 1 penticed dormer lighting the first floor corridor and 2 cambered casements. To the right is a brick addition with tiled roof formerly to house the water tank. This has 2 cambered headed oak doors with studs and hinges and ingenious wooden ladder with cut out semi-circular holes for steps. The wall which links the house and former water tank is of rat trap bond. Left side elevation has an end brick chimney-stack with tumbling in and 3 casements. The garden front faces due south to make full use of the magnificent view. 1st floor has 3 penticed dormers and right side tile hung gable which lights staircase. Ground floor has 3 cambered casements with hipped bench seat built under a projecting bread oven which was specially requested by the Thomases and recorded in ‘World Without End’ by Helen Thomas. Oak studded door under gable. Wing with lounge and principal bedroom above has 1 oak 3 light segment to each floor. Interior has lobby with oak beams with run out stops brick paved floor. Plain staircase of brick with treads edged with oak and half flight leading to garden. Sitting room has oak ceiling (now painted) with 2 axial beams with run out stops and similar ceiling beams. Fireplace has oak bressummer with run out stops and splayed brick opening. Above is a wide oak shelf with brackets. Hearth has large herringbone bricks edged with oak. Very wide oak floorboards with oak pegs. 3 plank oak door with studs and triangular shaped iron hinges. Drawing Room to right of lobby has ceiling with chamfered oak beams with lamb’s tongue stops. Cambered fireplace with shelf above and double cupboard by Lupton to right of fireplace with 3 planks with elaborate pintle hinges. Kitchen has a 3 plank door with hinges and spine beam with 2 inch chamfer and run out stops and similar floor joists. Built-in oak dresser by Lupton has 3 drawers to centre with octagonal iron hinges flanked by 2 oak doors of 3 planks with iron studs and catches and plate racks above with hooks. 1st floor corridor has exposed jowled upright posts. The principal bedroom has a curved oak windowseat. Another bedroom retains an original firegrate and an oak shelf to the right. There is an inserted cupboard by Edward Barnsley in another bedroom. Edward Thomas lived in the Red House between 1909 and 1913 and was killed at Arras in 1917. The house was the inspiration for 2 of his poems New House” and “Wind and Mist".


This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.