History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial in churchyard of St George's Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle, City of Leicester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6342 / 52°38'2"N

Longitude: -1.1264 / 1°7'34"W

OS Eastings: 459220

OS Northings: 304403

OS Grid: SK592044

Mapcode National: GBR FJK.9L

Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.N1TX

Entry Name: War Memorial in churchyard of St George's Church

Listing Date: 28 August 2013

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1415471

Location: Leicester, LE1

County: City of Leicester

Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish

Unitary Authority Ward: Castle

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: The Resurrection

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Leicester

Summary

First World War memorial erected in 1921 to the designs of W. D. Caröe.

Description

First World War memorial erected in 1921 to the designs of W. D. Caröe.

MATERIALS: sandstone ashlar and timber.

EXTERIOR: the memorial comprises a wooden crucifix resting on a hexagonal stone plinth, with a moulded cornice and base, and alternating recessed sides with moulded segmental arches. This rests on a tall hexagonal five-stepped stone base, the south side of which bears a square stone tablet engraved with the inscription: ‘DEDICATED BY THE RV NOEL MELLISH VC WITH PRAYER AND THANKSGIVING FOR THOSE WHO FROM THIS CHURCH AND PARISH OF S. GEORGE THE SOLDIER MARTYR LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR: 1914 1918 / LORD ALL PITYING JESU BLEST GRANT THEM THINE ETERNAL REST’ followed by the names of the fallen.


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 15 March 2017.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until the end of the C19. Memorials before this date were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902. This was the first major war to take place after reforms to the British Army led to the recruitment of regiments from local communities. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The war memorial dedicated to the fallen from the parish of St George was dedicated by the Reverend Noel Mellish in 1921. It was built at a cost of £490 by the stonemasons W. Thrall & Son to the design of William Douglas Caröe (1857-1938). Caröe had been responsible for rebuilding the nave at St George’s Church after it was damaged by fire in 1911. He was a pioneer of building conservation, and had been appointed Senior Architect to the Church Commissioners in 1895. Caröe restored many churches and he designed both domestic and commercial buildings, many of which are listed, such as the Offices of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and Church Estates in Millbank, London (Grade II*).

Reasons for Listing

The First World War memorial, erected in 1921 to the designs of W. D. Caröe, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: it has special historic interest commemorating those members of the community who died in the First World War;

* Architectural interest: it is a well-detailed memorial designed by William Douglas Caröe, an eminent architect who has five other World War I memorials on the List at Grade II;

* Group value: it has strong group value with the Grade II* listed Church of St George, the nave of which had been rebuilt by Caröe in 1911.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.