This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2293 / 51°13'45"N
Longitude: -2.2506 / 2°15'2"W
OS Eastings: 382595
OS Northings: 147823
OS Grid: ST825478
Mapcode National: GBR 1TQ.V32
Mapcode Global: VH97F.YC1F
Entry Name: War Memorial
Listing Date: 18 October 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1416479
Location: Chapmanslade, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Chapmanslade
Built-Up Area: Chapmanslade
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Corsley and Chadmanslade St Margaret of Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
War memorial of 1920
War memorial of 1920
MATERIAL: constructed of Doulting stone
DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands approximately 3.5m high. It has a base of two steps which is surmounted by a square plinth with a chamfered top. The tapering shaft has moulding towards the top, above which is a small wheel cross. On the south face of the plinth is a bronze plaque bearing the inscription in relief: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS VILLAGE/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918/. The names of the fifteen men are inscribed below.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 December 2016.
The Church of St Philip and St James was erected in 1866-7 on land given by the Marquis of Bath. The war memorial in the churchyard was unveiled on 12 September 1920 and commemorated the men from the village who died during the First World War. Sources indicate that the memorial was sculpted by a Mr Morgan.
The war memorial in the churchyard of St Philip and St James is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the impact of tragic world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: a design of good architectural quality and craftsmanship;
* Group value: it has good visual group value with a number of listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings