This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8345 / 51°50'4"N
Longitude: -2.3152 / 2°18'54"W
OS Eastings: 378379
OS Northings: 215150
OS Grid: SO783151
Mapcode National: GBR 0JY.X27
Mapcode Global: VH94H.T4FZ
Entry Name: War memorial
Listing Date: 6 November 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1416698
Location: Elmore, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2
Civil Parish: Elmore
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Elmore
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
A war memorial, circa 1921.
A war memorial, dating from 1921.
The memorial is constructed from local limestone.
The platform on which the memorial stands is square in shape, circa 2m across.
The war memorial takes the form of a wheel cross, the cross set on a tapering octagonal column. The shaft terminates in a four-sided base with broach stops to the shoulders. The square base is set directly on the top step of the three-stepped platform. The front face of the moulded base is inscribed: IN GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF ELMORE / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918 in an elegant Serif font. Below this, the first step of the platform is inscribed: THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE. / HAIL! – AND – FAREWELL! / ALL HONOUR GIVE / TO THOSE WHO NOBLY STRIVING, NOBLY FELL, / THAT WE MIGHT LIVE. The rear face is inscribed ALSO IN MEMORY / THOSE WHO FELL / IN THE WORLD WAR / 1939-1945. The remaining faces of the base and top step of the platform are inscribed with the names of the Fallen from each conflict: eight from the First World War, and three from the Second World War.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.
The war memorial was erected in 1921, in a prominent location on Step Green, near the village centre, in memory of the men of the village, eight in all, who were killed during the First World War. The memorial commemorates, among the other men of the village who lost their lives, (Henry George) Christopher Guise (died 6 May 1915, Belgium), a Second Lieutenant in the Gloucestershire Regiment. Christopher was the son of Sir William and Lady Ada Guise of Elmore Hall, who may have given the land on which the memorial stands, and contributed funds towards its erection. The memorial was dedicated and formally opened on 2 October 1921. After the end of the Second World War, the names of the three men who were lost in that conflict were added to the memorial.
The war memorial at Elmore is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and dignified memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings