History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cast iron boundary post on Upper Maze Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Maze Hill, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8548 / 50°51'17"N

Longitude: 0.5531 / 0°33'11"E

OS Eastings: 579799

OS Northings: 109243

OS Grid: TQ797092

Mapcode National: GBR PX9.8NJ

Mapcode Global: FRA D61V.39C

Entry Name: Cast iron boundary post on Upper Maze Hill

Listing Date: 28 November 2013

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1416727

Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN38

County: East Sussex

District: Hastings

Electoral Ward/Division: Maze Hill

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Hastings

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Upper St Leonards St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Hollington

Summary

Boundary post, probably dating from c1830.

Description

Cast iron boundary post. Standing approximately 600mm high and 160mm square with a pyramidal cap. The post is marked, below the cap and above a roll moulding, in raised lettering, ‘HLB’ (Hastings Liberty) on one face and ‘StL’ (St Leonards) on the opposing face.

The post is buried up to the lettering and is sited next to a later boundary stone.


History

St Leonards was established as a speculative seaside development by the architect and builder, James Burton (1761-1837). Burton was one of the most prominent Georgian builders working in London, was responsible for much of the development of Bloomsbury and had worked with John Nash at Regents Park. In 1827 Burton negotiated the purchase of a strip of coastal land to the west of Hastings for the new town. Building work began in 1828 and by 1832 most of the public buildings, terraces and villas were complete. In 1850 a second phase of development was started by his son, the architect Decimus Burton (1800-81).

The land was marked by eleven cast iron boundary posts of which five remain in situ.

Reasons for Listing

The cast iron boundary post on Upper Maze Hill, St Leonards, probably dating from c1830 and marking the boundary of James and Decimus Burtons’ speculative seaside development is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Date: as a relatively early example of a cast iron boundary post;
* Rarity: early cast iron boundary posts are now rare;
* Location: the post appears from historic map evidence to be in its original location;
* Historic interest: as a marker for the parish boundary of St Leonards, the up-market, speculative seaside resort built by James Burton and his son, Decimus Burton, between 1828 and the 1850s;
* Group value: part of a group of five surviving markers, out of the eleven originally erected.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.