This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2768 / 51°16'36"N
Longitude: 1.3383 / 1°20'17"E
OS Eastings: 632924
OS Northings: 158362
OS Grid: TR329583
Mapcode National: GBR X12.WQL
Mapcode Global: VHLGS.45VK
Entry Name: Boundary wall between 20 and 22 Church Street, St. Mary's
Listing Date: 6 December 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1417089
Location: Sandwich, Dover, Kent, CT13
Civil Parish: Sandwich
Built-Up Area: Sandwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Boundary wall probably constructed in the later C17 or early C18, reusing some earlier materials.
DATE: probably constructed in the later C17 or early C18, reusing some earlier materials.
MATERIALS: incorporates reused medieval stone, some narrow Tudor bricks, some flint and yellow and red brick.
PLAN : a linear boundary wall.
DESCRIPTION: it varies in height between about 7 and 12 feet and is approximately 27 feet long. The taller western section nearest the house has a projecting plinth of reused stone and flint and is of yellow brick in English bond above. There is some later patching near the top in red and yellow brick and a section in yellow Flemish bond. The eastern section has a more irregular bond pattern and random reused masonry and unknapped flints. There is yellow brick coping. Near the eastern end there is a low rectangular opening blocked in red brick.
This wall is attached to and is a continuation of the south-west side wall of 22, Church Street St. Mary's and forms a boundary wall between this property, formerly the Drum Inn, a timber-framed building dating from the C15, and 20, Church Street St. Mary's, part of a terrace of three early C19 houses. It was probably built as a garden wall to the Drum Inn.
The wall is shown on the 1842 Tithe Map for Sandwich and on the First Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of 1872. There is no change on the 1897 Second Edition or the Third Edition of 1907 except that an outbuilding is shown at its eastern end in the garden of No. 22.
The boundary wall between Nos. 20 and 22, Church Street St. Mary's is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Age: probably erected in the later C17 but incorporating reused medieval masonry and some Tudor bricks;
* Construction interest: rises to about 12 feet and has a projecting plinth to part;
* Materials: comprises a variety of local materials of many periods including good quality yellow brick in English Bond, Flemish bond brickwork, some red brick and flint, besides reused masonry;
* Group value: attached to and an extension of the south-west wall of 22, Church Street St. Mary's (Grade II), and also has group value with Nos. 16, 18 and 20, Church Street (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings