History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatepier and Wall to north side of Longport and west side of North Holmes Road, former Her Majesty's Prison Canterbury

A Grade II Listed Building in Canterbury, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2775 / 51°16'38"N

Longitude: 1.0925 / 1°5'33"E

OS Eastings: 615783

OS Northings: 157691

OS Grid: TR157576

Mapcode National: GBR TY3.T6V

Mapcode Global: VHLGM.W5F0

Entry Name: Gatepier and Wall to north side of Longport and west side of North Holmes Road, former Her Majesty's Prison Canterbury

Listing Date: 21 February 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1417515

Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1

County: Kent

District: Canterbury

Electoral Ward/Division: Barton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Canterbury

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Canterbury

Summary

Circa 1808 gatepier and wall to the north side of Longport and the west side of North Holmes Road.

Description

Gatepier and wall to north side of Longport and west side of North Holmes Road built circa 1808 as part of George Byfield's design for Canterbury Prison and the adjoining court house. The boundary wall extends from the eastern side of 45 Longport to the junction with North Holmes Road and turns along the west side of North Holmes Road.

MATERIALS : stone gate pier and brick walls in Flemish and English bond.

DESCRIPTION: at the western end is a projecting stone gate pier with a tall recessed panel, a narrower plain panel above and a flat cornice. The attached wall along Longport is about nine feet high in Flemish bond and is of a similar height along North Holmes Road until nearly opposite St. Martin's Church when it rises to about 19 feet and changes to English bond. There is some patching on the northern part.

History

The wall and gatepier on the north side of Longport, attached to the east side of No. 45, the former governor's house of Canterbury Prison, were probably constructed circa 1808 as part of George Byfield's new gaol and house of correction at Canterbury.

Reasons for Listing

The circa 1808 gatepier and wall to the north side of Longport and the west side of North Holmes Road are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: a good quality early C19 Neo-Classical style stone gate pier and contemporary brick wall;
* Group value: both the gate pier and wall have strong group value with a number of listed buildings at Canterbury Prison.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.