History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Statue of Francis Aglionby

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8933 / 54°53'35"N

Longitude: -2.9316 / 2°55'53"W

OS Eastings: 340344

OS Northings: 555792

OS Grid: NY403557

Mapcode National: GBR 7CZV.3P

Mapcode Global: WH802.Y85K

Entry Name: Statue of Francis Aglionby

Listing Date: 21 March 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1417583

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Summary

Statue of Major Francis Aglionby MP, 1843 by Musgrave Lewthwaite Watson.

Description

Materials: Caen stone on original base surmounting a later, rusticated sandstone pedestal.

The statue is set on a high pedestal immediately outside the main entrance to the Carlisle Courts of Justice. It is a life-size portrait statue, the figure facing forward in a standing attitude; the Major is represented in the dress of a country gentleman, with an outer gown, probably referring to his judicial role, elegantly tied across his breast. He carries a volume of Justice of the Peace and Parish Officer (1755) by Richard Burns in his right hand. Some physical damage has occurred to the statue, notably parts of the fingers of the left hand and part of the left foot are missing.

The front (south) face of the pedestal bears an inscribed slate plaque which reads “Major Francis Aglionby MP 1777 – 1840 for many years Chairman of the Cumberland Quarter Sessions.”


History

Major Francis Aglionby MP died in 1840 while entering court on his way to the bench in his capacity as Chairman of the Cumberland Quarter Sessions; at a subsequent inquest, the jury returned a verdict of Natural Death. Two years later it was determined to erect a life size statue to his memory to be executed by the sculptor Musgrave Watson. The completed statue was erected in 1843 in the large room originally intended as the grand entrance hall to the Criminal Court, within a few yards from his place of death. It remained in this location until urgent repairs in 1980 led to it being removed to an upper floor landing. When the new Crown Court was opened in 1992 the statue was moved to a new pedestal outside its main entrance, and at some point, in order to restrict deterioration of the statue, an impermeable paint was applied to the figure.

Francis Aglionby was an English Whig politician. He was elected as MP for Cumberland Eastern in 1837, and held this seat until his death in 1840. Aglionby also served in the Cumberland militia, where he rose to the rank of Major. He served as chairman of the county's quarter sessions in Cumberland from 1818 until his death.

M L Watson (1804-1847) was born at Dalston, near Carlisle, and left for London in 1824 to study sculpture. He met John Flaxman, studied for a short while at the Royal Academy Schools, and travelled abroad to study in Italy. For a time he worked with the leading portrait sculptor of the period Sir Francis Chantrey, and completed some of Chantrey’s works after the latter’s death. He exhibited frequently at the Royal Academy. Five of Watson’s works are listed including one of the four bronze reliefs on the base of Nelson’s Column, ‘The Battle of St Cape Vincent’ (Grade I), and his Earl of Lonsdale Statue, Carlisle (Grade II). Amongst his notable work is the portrait of John Flaxman which is exhibited in the Flaxman Gallery in University College London, and was awarded a posthumous Prize Medal at the Great Exhibition of 1851.

Reasons for Listing

This statue of Major Francis Aglionby, designed by Musgrave Lewthwaite Watson in 1843, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Designer: Musgrave Lewthwaite Watson was a talented and distinguished sculptor of national repute;
* Artistic quality: this is a statue of intrinsic artistic quality considered to be an exceptionally fine example of Watson’s vigorous style of costumed sculpture.


Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.