History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chevin Road Bridge (SPC8 22)

A Grade II Listed Building in Belper, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.006 / 53°0'21"N

Longitude: -1.4855 / 1°29'7"W

OS Eastings: 434617

OS Northings: 345529

OS Grid: SK346455

Mapcode National: GBR 6CW.H7G

Mapcode Global: WHDGF.4PVX

Entry Name: Chevin Road Bridge (SPC8 22)

Listing Date: 10 February 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1417679

Location: Belper, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE56

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Belper

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Milford Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Holbrook

Summary

A single-span skew overbridge carrying the Chevin Road, built 1836-40 for the North Midland Railway to the designs of George and Robert Stephenson with Frederick Swanwick.

Description

A single-span skew overbridge carrying the Chevin Road, built 1836-40 for the North Midland Railway to the designs of George and Robert Stephenson with Frederick Swanwick.

MATERIALS: coursed and squared Coal Measure Sandstone with ashlar Derbyshire Gritstone dressings. The soffit of the arch is of red brick.

DESCRIPTION: the low-mileage (south) face is a mirror image of the high-mileage (north) face. The single, segmental arch conforms to the standard dimensions of the Stephensons’ North Midland overbridges, with a span of 30ft and, originally, a height of 16ft. It has V-channelled rusticated ashlar voussoirs springing from impost bands which continue onto the underside of the bridge. The soffit of the arch is of skew-set red brick. The abutments are built of quarry-faced stone with ashlar quoins and are set on a plinth. Flanking the arch, the wing walls are splayed with a concave rake and terminate in half-hexagonal piers. Due to the skew, the wing wall on the down side (west) of the high-mileage (north) face, is longer than that on the up side (east); the opposite is true of the low-mileage (south) face. Running across the face and piers is a cornice composed of a bold roll moulding and a broad ashlar course with a chamfered upper edge. Above it are four courses of quarry-faced stone forming the parapet. This is surmounted by broad, tooled and square-moulded coping stones, with a slight fall to the outside edge. On their inside faces, the high mileage parapet has four and a half courses and the low mileage parapet has four and a half courses reducing to three at the down side due to the gradient of the roadway.

Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the tarmacadam road surface of the bridge is not of special architectural or historic interest.

History

The Midland Main Line is the outcome of a number of historic construction phases undertaken by different railway companies. The first two phases were carried out simultaneously between 1836 and 1840 by the North Midland Railway and the Midland Counties Railway. The North Midland Railway, which operated between Derby and Chesterfield and onwards to Rotherham and Leeds, was pre-eminently the work of George (1781-1848) and Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) who, along with Isambard Kingdom Brunel, are the most renowned engineers of this pioneering phase of railway development. They worked closely with the Assistant Engineer, Frederick Swanwick (1810-1885). The railway’s architect Francis Thompson (1808-1895) designed stations and other railway buildings along the line. The less demanding route for the Midland Counties Railway, which ran between Derby and Nottingham to Leicester and on to Rugby, was surveyed by Charles Blacker Vignoles (1793-1875) who was engineer to a large number of railway projects. These two companies (along with the Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway) did not yield the expected profits, partly because of the fierce competition between them. This led to the three companies merging into the Midland Railway in 1844 which constituted the first large scale railway amalgamation. The next part of the line from Leicester to Bedford and on to Hitchin was constructed between 1853 and 1857 by the engineer Charles Liddell (c.1813-1894) and specialist railway architect Charles Henry Driver (1832-1900). In 1862 the decision was made to extend the line from Bedford to London which was again the responsibility of Liddell, except for the final fourteen miles into London and the design of the terminus at St Pancras (listed at Grade I) which was undertaken by William Barlow (1812-1902). Additional routes were then added from Chesterfield to Sheffield in 1870, and from Kettering to Corby in 1879. The most important changes to the infrastructure of the Midland Railway were the rebuilding of its principal stations and the increasing of the line’s capacity, involving the quadrupling of some stretches of the route south of the Trent from the early 1870s to the 1890s.

Chevin Road Bridge was built between 1836 and 1840 as part of the North Midland Railway. The route from Derby to Chesterfield and onwards to Rotherham and Leeds was surveyed by George Stephenson in 1835, and the Act of Parliament for the construction of the 72 mile line was obtained in 1836. Linked at Derby to the Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway and the Midland Counties Railway, it was to form part of a route from London to Yorkshire and the North East. George Stephenson was joined by his son Robert as joint Chief Engineer on the project in 1837. In order to concentrate on his mineral and mining interests, George relinquished his railway projects in 1839 so it was his son who saw the North Midland through to its completion in 1840. Part of Robert Stephenson’s skill in handling railway projects was his ability to select and manage an able team, and he entrusted much of the engineering design of the North Midland to Frederick Swanwick whose name appears on the surviving contract drawings. The Stephensons, supported by Swanwick, designed the line north from Derby to have gradients no greater than 1 in 250 to suit the low power of contemporary steam locomotives, which meant relegating Sheffield to a link line. To achieve such gradients the line followed the River Derwent as far as Ambergate and then ran through more difficult territory up the valley of the River Amber via Wingfield and Clay Cross to Chesterfield, then over to Rotherham and via Wakefield to Leeds. The notable sequence of picturesque stations along the line was designed by Francis Thompson who was therefore also influential in setting his stamp on the character of the line.

Chevin Road Bridge is one of a series of surviving stone bridges built for the North Midland Railway between Derby and Chesterfield. The bridge is typical of those designed by George and Robert Stephenson, with their Assistant Engineer Frederick Swanwick. It was constructed under the contract for Milford which was won by a Mr McIntosh with a tender of £93,122, but the original contract drawings for this bridge do not survive. The bridge was built according to the ‘English’ or ‘helicoidal’ system of skew arch construction. This involved the voussoir bed joints being laid parallel to one another and perpendicular to the direction of the bridge, simplifying construction. The method was published by the mathematician Peter Nicholson in 1828, and elaborated upon by the engineer Charles Fox in 1836, before being published in a definitive form by George Buck in 1839. Thus pre-1840 skew arched bridges built on pioneering phase English railways were the first of their kind anywhere in the world.

Reasons for Listing

Chevin Road Bridge, constructed in 1836-40, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Date: as an early example of a railway structure dating from the pioneering phase in national railway development;
* Intactness: as a remarkably unaltered bridge that is well preserved;
* Historic interest: as a bridge that forms part of the North Midland Railway, which was designed by George and Robert Stephenson, among the greatest and most influential of all railway engineers, with their assistant Frederick Swanwick;
* Architectural interest: as an example of the consistently high quality design and careful detailing of railway structures completed for the North Midland Railway. The aesthetic quality of the bridge far exceeds the functional and structural requirements of bridge design;
* Engineering interest: as one of the earliest type of railway skew-arched bridges in the world built according to the ‘helicoidal’ system of construction;
* Group value: as a bridge that possesses group value with the north portal of Milford Tunnel, 65m to the south, and stands within the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.