This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1892 / 50°11'21"N
Longitude: -5.2847 / 5°17'4"W
OS Eastings: 165635
OS Northings: 37292
OS Grid: SW656372
Mapcode National: GBR Z0.V6VC
Mapcode Global: VH12Q.CH2T
Entry Name: Well at Higher Stennack
Listing Date: 26 February 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1417968
Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14
Civil Parish: Camborne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Treslothan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
Well to the north-west of Higher Stennack Farm, thought to be medieval in origin.
Well, with housing formed of crude granite blocks. The well, and possibly its housing, are thought to be medieval in origin, though the latter is likely to have been subject to some renewal and may have been rebuilt.
The structure is currently largely submerged, with silting of the interior, but is shown more fully in a photograph taken in 1960; it is thought that the structure itself has changed little since that time.
The well housing is built into the sloping ground, with the front opening being formed by a wide lintel with a slightly arched top resting on the side revetment walls; the back wall is curved. It is understood that there are, or have been, steps to the front. A survey of 1971 describes the structure as being about 1m wide and perhaps 1.5m deep.
The well to north-west of Higher Stennack Farm has also been known, in the C20, as Peter James' Well, after a former occupier of the land near which it is situated. It is understood that the well lies within a small area of common land, suggesting that it was historically a utility for common use. The well is thought to be medieval in origin, and is identified as being probably medieval by a 1967 survey of the 'Christian Antiquities of Camborne'. This area is also known as Carwynnen, where a medieval settlement was first recorded in 1430. The well is marked on Ordnance Survey maps from 1880 onwards. It seems likely that the well has been in use for centuries, and through the surrounding structure may have been renewed or even rebuilt, the current housing appears to be of considerable age.
The well at Higher Stennack is listed for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: the well is thought to be medieval in origin, whilst the housing is thought to pre-date 1840;
* Construction: constructed from local granite, the housing is simple but well-formed, with the slightly arched lintel indicating some design consideration.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings