This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0505 / 52°3'1"N
Longitude: -1.545 / 1°32'41"W
OS Eastings: 431298
OS Northings: 239225
OS Grid: SP312392
Mapcode National: GBR 6RF.D6P
Mapcode Global: VHBYP.5QLF
Entry Name: Church of England School
Listing Date: 20 February 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1417985
Location: Brailes, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Brailes
Built-Up Area: Lower Brailes
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Brailes St George
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Church of England School
School and schoolhouse. 1864. By William Smith. Red, Flemish garden wall bond brick with ashlar dressings including quoins and chamfered surrounds to the windows. Roof of plain and fishscale tiles running in horizontal bands. The road front has the 2-storey master's house at left and the single storey schoolroom [of similar overall height] at right. The master's house is of 3 bays with a doorway to the centre having a stone surround with shaped head. To either side are a 2-light and 3-light casement window at left and right respectively. The first floor has two 2-light semi-dormer casements with catslide roofs. There are 2 chimney stacks, to the left gable and at right. To right of this the school room has a flush gable at the centre of which is a 3-light window with transom and trefoil heads to the lights and 2 trefoils above set within the ashlar surround as if imitating plate tracery. The gable has stone kneelers, coping and a bell cote to the apex with trefoil-headed opening which no longer holds a bell. The right hand reveal has a projecting gabled wing at right with stone quoins and kneelers and a 3-light window with transom and trefoil heads to the lights and a sexfoil light to the apex. To the left are a 2-light and 3-light stone framed window with trefoil heads. There is a lean-to addition in the re-entrant angle with a 3-light metal-framed window. This, too, has ashlar quoins and window surround and a plain tiled roof. The rear has 3 and 2-light windows with stone surrounds as before. There are outhouses, a lavatory and a urinal to the rear of the schoolhouse. The stone window surrounds referred to all appear to contain their original metal-framed lights or casements.
The interior has 2 large schoolrooms set at 45 degrees to each other. Large double doors with chamfered stiles and rails can be opened to connect them. Blocked fireplace to one schoolroom.
The school and schoolhouse form a well-composed group, which reads well from all angles. They date from before the board school legislation of 1870 and have retained many of their original features.
Other nearby listed buildings