This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5906 / 51°35'26"N
Longitude: -0.0123 / 0°0'44"W
OS Eastings: 537789
OS Northings: 189839
OS Grid: TQ377898
Mapcode National: GBR KT.FKX
Mapcode Global: VHGQN.Q9V0
Entry Name: War Memorial, Waltham Forest Town Hall
Listing Date: 12 March 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1418595
Location: Waltham Forest, London, E17
District: Waltham Forest
Electoral Ward/Division: Hoe Street
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Walthamstow St John
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
War memorial, unveiled in 1922.
Dating from 1922, this is a free-standing stone memorial to the fallen of the First World War with a later inscriptions commemorating the Second World War and subsequent conflicts.
The memorial is rectangular in plan and consists of a stepped plinth surmounted by a neo-classical canopy of four Ionic columns supporting an entablature with a dentilled cornice. Within is a tablet inscribed ‘OUR / GLORIOUS / DEAD / “LEST WE FORGET” / 1914-1918 / 1939-1945', with a low relief moulded heraldic shield and foliation above. A plaque inscribed ' IN MEMORY OF / THE FALLEN OF WALTHAMSTOW / 1945 TO THE PRESENT DAY' is applied to the base of the tablet. A sculpture of a mourning woman in classical robes stands on the stepped base, leaning on the plinth with her head bowed.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 February 2017.
A memorial commemorating the men of Walthamstow who fell in the First World War was unveiled in July 1922. Following the Second World War an additional commemorative inscription was added.
In 1961 the memorial was moved from its original location at Lloyd Park, c.210m to the west, to its current location in front of Waltham Forest Town Hall.
The Walthamstow War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a symbol of the great impact on local communities of the First World War and as a focal point for remembrance for this community;
* Architectural interest: it is a restrained neoclassical design with good-quality detailing and a particularly poignant sculpture of a female figure mourning at the foot of the cenotaph;
* Group value: in its current position at the fore of the civic centre it has strong visual relationships with many listed structures.
Other nearby listed buildings