History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ornamental fountain to north-east of Aldwick Hundred

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldwick, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7773 / 50°46'38"N

Longitude: -0.7061 / 0°42'22"W

OS Eastings: 491320

OS Northings: 98326

OS Grid: SZ913983

Mapcode National: GBR DHN.29T

Mapcode Global: FRA 97D1.4QY

Entry Name: Ornamental fountain to north-east of Aldwick Hundred

Listing Date: 19 December 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1418975

Location: Aldwick, Arun, West Sussex, PO21

County: West Sussex

District: Arun

Civil Parish: Aldwick

Built-Up Area: Bognor Regis

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Aldwick St Richard

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Pagham

Summary

Circa 1928 Neo-Tudor style ornamental drinking fountain.

Description

Circa 1928 Neo-Tudor style ornamental drinking fountain.

MATERIALS: red brick in Flemish or header bond with a stone drinking fountain.It has sandstone arches and a tiled roof.

PLAN: symmetrical curved retaining wall incorporating a central water spout over a basin.

DESCRIPTION: the retaining wall is constructed of small Flemish bond bricks with a tiled roof, which is higher and gabled over the central part and terminates in gables with wooden barge-boards at the ends. The central part has a full-height, round-headed alcove, lined in header bond brickwork, with a stone dolphin water spout above a large stone clam shell, supported on a stone heron above two curved stone steps. On either side are narrow sandstone Tudor pedestrian arches, and the wall terminates in piers under the gable ends.

History

This garden feature was constructed circa 1928 at the same time as the original part of the main house. It is in the same style as the main house and was clearly also built by Edwin Davidson.

The fountain does not appear on the 1912 third Edition Ordnance Survey map but is shown on the 1932 Fourth Edition.

Reasons for Listing

The ornamental drinking fountain to the north-east of Aldwick Hundred, built circa 1928 at the same time as the main house, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Artistic interest: an interesting and unusual design in good quality materials by the same designer (Edwin Davidson) as the main house;
* Group value: an integral part of the original design which has an important relationship with the main house (also Listed Grade II, NHLE entry 1418951).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.