This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.147 / 51°8'49"N
Longitude: 0.1616 / 0°9'41"E
OS Eastings: 551290
OS Northings: 140855
OS Grid: TQ512408
Mapcode National: GBR LN9.5MW
Mapcode Global: VHHQB.RF8L
Entry Name: Old Surrenden
Listing Date: 5 June 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1418980
Location: Penshurst, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN11
Civil Parish: Penshurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Fordcombe St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
House. C16 or earlier re-fronted in the C18, extended in the early C19 and a further L-wing was added to the south-west circa 1900.
House. C16 or earlier re-fronted in the C18, extended in the early C19 and a further L-wing was added to the south-west circa 1900. It was re-fenestrated from the 1950s onwards and modernised in the 1960s. A two storey single bay extension was added in 1974 to the north-east, and in 1984 a single storey extension was added to the south-west and an extension to the north-west. The late C20 extensions are not of special interest.
MATERIALS: timber-framed, the lower part of the ground floor re-fronted in red brick with blue headers and the upper part of the ground floor tile-hung. Tiled roof with off-central brick chimneystack.
PLAN: the central two bays originally comprised either an open hall house of one bay with service end or were built as a one storey and attic two bay house. An external chimneystack was added at the south-west end in the C18. A further two storey bay was added at the south-west end in the early C19. An L-wing was added at the south-west end between 1898 and 1909, and the property was further extended to the north-west and north-east later in the C20.
EXTERIOR: the entrance front faces south-east. It is of one storey with attics. Steeply-pitched tiled roof with gablets and half hips to the south-west and north-east. There are two irregularly-spaced gabled dormers to the attic with paired top-opening metal casements. The ground floor has four metal casement windows and a 1970s gabled porch with carved wooden brackets and plank door. The two central bays have brickwork in English garden wall bond and the north bay has Flemish bond brickwork with grey headers. The south-west side has tile-hanging and Flemish bond brickwork to the southern part, partially concealed by a C20 porch. The northern part has a late C20 brick ground floor and upper floor of applied timber-framing. The north-west side has similar 1980s materials and a 1960s weather-boarded garage with half-hipped tiled roof has been incorporated into the living accommodation. The north-east end has later C20 brickwork and tile-hanging.
INTERIOR: the ground floor of the original two central bays now comprises one room with an C18 brick open fireplace with wooden bressumer and exposed ceiling beams. To the northern half these are wider and rough hewn possibly C18, to the southern half narrower probably early C19. There is a ledged plank door in the south wall.
Access by a late C20 staircase in the north-west corner leads to the upper floor which retains two jowled corner posts, part of the midrail and tie beam, a curved brace and some struts of the original north-east end wall of the property; also part of the north-west side wall comprising wall-plate, midrail, studs, a curved corner brace and the base of two rafters. In the northern bedroom the wallplate to the south-east wall and a number of rafters are visible. Some wide C16 oak floor boards survive. There is an C18 timber partition between this and the central bedroom with a blocked doorcase, and the ceiling appears to have been added in the C18, retaining the marks of wet plaster. The central bedroom has the wallplate to the south-east wall visible. The original south-east end wall survives with tie beam complete, except for the insertion of a ledged braced plank door. A curved corner brace, and part of the original north-west wall is also visible. A number of the lower parts of rafters are visible and the room contains wide C16 oak floor boards throughout. The southern bedroom contains the formerly external side of the original south-east end wall, including a blocked original window with one wooden diamond mullion surviving and the socket for another visible. The upper part of the C18 chimneystack (originally external) is visible in this room, which also retains late C18 or early C19 studs to the south-east end wall and the bases of rafters and ceiling beams with the marks of wet plaster. The roof structure is without purlins but has a ridgepiece.
Until the 1960s this house was owned by the Stonewall Park Estate and housed agricultural workers from the adjoining Walter's Green Farm. Access to the upper floor is reported to have been by a ladder at the side of the chimney until the 1960s.
The building appears on the 1870 Kent First Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map as a rectangular structure, aligned south-west to north-east, with a well situated to the south-east. There is no change on the 1898 map. By the 1909 Kent map an L-wing had been added at the south-west end and the well is no longer shown. The building has been extended to the north since the 1936 Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey map. Windows were replaced in the 1950s and the building was modernised internally circa 1965. A two storey one bay extension was added to the north-east in 1974, and in 1984 a side entrance and two storey extension to the north-west were added.
The postal address was formerly No. 7 Walter's Green Cottages. It was listed at Grade II under that name on 16 January 1975 as part of the re-survey of the former Sevenoaks Rural District. Between the mid 1960s and 1995 it was called Goose Cottage. By 1996 the name had been changed to Old Surrenden.
Old Surrenden, a two bay C16 timber-framed building, re-fronted in brick and tile in the C18 when an external chimneystack was also added, extended by one bay in the early C19 and with further late C20 additions and alterations, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Date: incorporates a two bay C16 timber-framed house, an early survival of a house of poorer members of society;
* Regional and local characteristics: it is representative of a south-eastern counties rural type of timber-framed house modified in the C18 by re-fronting in brick and tile-hanging;
* Plan form: the original plan form of a two bay house with ground floor and attic and the original upper floor circulation is readable, despite later additions and alterations;
* Interior features: includes C16 floor boards and an C18 open fireplace and ledged plank doors;
* Historic alterations: the C18 re-fronting and early C19 south-west bay add interest as evidence of changing fashions and differing accommodation needs;
* Proportion of survival : a significant proportion of pre-1700 wall frame and an internal partition survive;
* Group Value: part of a group of Grade II listed buildings in Walter's Green Road to which it is functionally and historically related as it once housed farm workers for Walter's Green Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings