History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brady Farm Bridge, HUL4/15

A Grade II Listed Building in Sturton Grange, Leeds

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.7907 / 53°47'26"N

Longitude: -1.3607 / 1°21'38"W

OS Eastings: 442214

OS Northings: 432893

OS Grid: SE422328

Mapcode National: GBR LSYL.6W

Mapcode Global: WHDBM.2ZBD

Entry Name: Brady Farm Bridge, HUL4/15

Listing Date: 5 March 2015

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1419091

Location: Sturton Grange, Leeds, LS25

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Sturton Grange

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Garforth St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in


Railway basket-arch overbridge, constructed for the Leeds & Selby Railway in 1832-3 to the designs of Walker & Burges; the contractors were Hamer & Pratt.


Railway basket-arch overbridge, constructed for the Leeds & Selby Railway in 1832-3 to the designs of Walker & Burges; the contractors were Hamer & Pratt.

MATERIALS: sandstone ashlar with squared and coursed quarry-faced limestone.

PLAN: single-span with provision to accommodate four tracks

One of a sequence of bridges on the Leeds & Selby Railway which share a common design. The wide arch springs from an impost band and has stepped, rusticated and v-jointed ashlar voussoirs. The bridge has straight wing walls and the parapet is set upon a square-moulded ashlar string course. The low parapet walls have distinctive, pronounced horizontal tooling and terminate in similarly detailed oval piers, that are characteristic of the line.

EXCLUSIONS: Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 ('the Act') it is declared that the C20 metal railings fastened to the stonework of the original parapets are not of special architectural or historic interest.


In the early C19 Leeds was a major textile manufacturing centre and needed a good transport connection to the sea for the import of raw wool and export of finished cloth. The pre-existing river and canal system to Hull was slow and expensive and a railway link from Leeds to Selby and then onwards to Hull was considered to have potential to improve the transport infrastructure, and could also benefit local coal mine and quarry owners.

In 1825 George Stephenson was asked to survey a possible route to Selby. However, financial uncertainties led to the project being postponed and Stephenson concentrated on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway instead. In 1829 the engineer James Walker was asked to review the Stephenson proposal. Walker (1781-1862) is best known for designing harbours, docks and lighthouses, having been appointed consulting engineer to Trinity House in 1825. However, he also played an important role in the early development of the railway system. In 1829 he went into partnership with his assistant, Alfred Burges (1797-1886, father of architect William Burges), though Burges does not appear to have been involved in Walker's railway projects. Having resurveyed the route Walker suggested some adjustments to enable the use of horse or locomotive power without the inclusion of inclined planes worked with stationary steam engines. The proposed route ran from Leeds to the River Ouse at Selby via Crossgates, Garforth and Milford, a distance of just over 19 miles. Walker also suggested that the plan put before Parliament allowed sufficient land to be purchased for the construction of a four track line. It was authorised by Parliament in 1830, four months before the pioneering Liverpool & Manchester Railway opened, and was fully opened by December 1834.

Walker acted as consulting engineer, and in common with other early railway builders, had a resident engineer for the day-to-day supervision and some of the detailed design, using Thomas Dyson, and, from 1832, George Smith. Nowell & Sons of Dewsbury and Homer & Pratt of Goole were the two contractors. The scale of the project was unusual because of the decision to provide four tracks. This resulted in a trackbed of 66ft (20.1m) rather than the typical two track line which had a trackbed of 30ft (9.1m); even Brunel designing for his broad-gauge track used that dimension. The extra width gave the railway a quite different character from the simple lines and waggonways that had preceded it. The most distinctive characteristic of the line was the design for the overbridges, which had to span the four tracks rather than the usual two tracks. Walker did not use a twin-span bridge, but designed a bridge with a single, basket arch (three-centred arch where the height is less than half the span) and an unprecedented span of around 60ft (18.2m). In the event only a twin-track line was laid, and in many cases one side of the arch is obscured by the earth embankment. The bridges were built of stone with the exception of a brick underbridge at Barwick Road, Garforth, and two iron bridges, one of which survives at Crawshaw Woods.

Brady Farm Bridge was constructed in 1830-32; in the C20 metal railings were added to the low parapet.

Reasons for Listing

Brady Farm Bridge, HUL 4-15, of c1832-3 by James Walker of Walker & Burges for Leeds & Selby Railway, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an original overbridge built between 1830 and 1834 on the pioneering, first phase Leeds & Selby Railway;
* Engineer: designed by James Walker, a renowned C19 engineer, who constructed the line with a four-track bed and distinctive, single-span overbridges with unprecedented spans of 60ft (18.2m);
* Architectural interest: as a single-span, basket-arch bridge demonstrating a high level of craftsmanship in its construction, detailing, and dressing;
* Intactness: the bridge is largely unaltered and retains its original parapets.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.