This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9663 / 50°57'58"N
Longitude: -1.7372 / 1°44'13"W
OS Eastings: 418549
OS Northings: 118574
OS Grid: SU185185
Mapcode National: GBR 52N.CLD
Mapcode Global: FRA 767K.C0W
Entry Name: Walled Kitchen Garden, formerly belonging to Hale House
Listing Date: 30 January 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1419243
Location: Hale, New Forest, Hampshire, SP6
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Hale
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Hale with The Charfords
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
Walled kitched garden, formerly belonging to Hale House
Walled kitchen garden, formerly belonging to Hale House, built c1790 for the May family of Hale Park, extended C19. PLAN: Extensive walls built on a S facing slope, enclosing an overall area of c150m x 60m. The walled enclosures comprise 2 large, square gardens and a narrower 'side' or ';slip' garden on the E side.
DESCRIPTION: Red brick laid in English bond with some burnt headers, 3m or higher with curved coping. The tall northern stretch has pilasters at regular intervals to the rear. The intermediate walls have cambered and round-headed openings. The western wall was originally built in mud or cob; this has mainly been rebuilt in replica and has tiled copings, and is of lesser interest. The eastern- and western-most sections of garden were enclosed on the S side in 1884; this wall is in red brick in English bond with black tiles to the coping. The central compartment is open on the south side.
HISTORY: The walls enclosed the former kitchen garden belonging to Hale Park (qv), and were built c1790 after the estate was sold to the May family in 1788, possibly replacing an earlier kitchen garden nearer to the house. They were originally open on the S side, as was commonly the practice at the bottom of a slope in order to allow 'roll-off' of frost.
The Garden Cottage is not included in the listing.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This is a substantial and well-preserved survival of a walled kitchen garden, formerly belonging to Hale House (qv), which forms an integral part of Hale Park, a Grade II* registered historic landscape. The walls also have group value with the Rectory, Queen Street (qv).
SOURCES: Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Hampshire,1967, pp 262-3;
Susan Campell, Walled Kitchen Gardens, 1998; The Walled Kitchen Garden at Hale, January 2003
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings