This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0705 / 51°4'13"N
Longitude: -1.3163 / 1°18'58"W
OS Eastings: 448000
OS Northings: 130354
OS Grid: SU480303
Mapcode National: GBR 85V.XNV
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.10Z
Entry Name: Hyde Lodge
Listing Date: 22 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1419302
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Bartholomew
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester, Hyde St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 43 SE
WORTHY LANE (west side),
House; now warden's flat and control room for sheltered housing. Circa 1835; extended in 1930s, rear wing demolished in late C20. Stuccoed brick. Low-pitched hipped slate roof with deep eaves. Two symmetrically placed stuccoed axial stacks.
PLAN: Double-depth plan with 3 principal rooms, the left room full depth, the centre room with bowed front, the entrance on right side leading to the stairhall at the centre rear. The rear service wing has been demolished. In the 1930s a single-storey bay was added on the left side when it became a coach station cafe. In the late C20 the rear service wing was demolished and replaced by ranges of sheltered housing accommodation in the garden behind the house. Regency style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement. Symmetrical 1:3:1 bay east front, centre 3 windows in 2-storey bow. Corner pilasters and band at first floor window cill level. Large 12-pane sashes in moulded architraves, ground floor to left and right set in segmentally-headed architraves, without glazing bars on right and replaced with French casement on left. Left [south] return has large single-storey bay window on ground floor and 2 blind windows above. Righthand [north] return has 4 bays, blind except for sash on right and doorway to right of centre with C20 canopy. Attached at rear is a range of late C20 housing range.
INTERIOR: Moulded ceiling cornices and much of the original joinery survive, including a fine geometrical staircase with stick balusters, moulded mahogany handrail, wreathed at curtail and scrolled tread-ends.
SOURCE: Gales map of 1836.
Other nearby listed buildings