History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Headstone to Elizabeth Baylis located approximately 20 metres to the east of the chancel of the Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnwood, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8582 / 51°51'29"N

Longitude: -2.2065 / 2°12'23"W

OS Eastings: 385874

OS Northings: 217753

OS Grid: SO858177

Mapcode National: GBR 1L7.DZ0

Mapcode Global: VH94C.PKWC

Entry Name: Headstone to Elizabeth Baylis located approximately 20 metres to the east of the chancel of the Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 16 April 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1419345

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL4

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Barnwood

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Barnwood St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Matson

Summary

The headstone to Elizabeth Baylis lies approximately 20m east of the chancel of the Church of St Lawrence. It is dated 1635 and is constructed of sandstone.

Description

The headstone to Elizabeth Baylis lies approximately 20 metres east of the chancel of the Church of St Lawrence. It is dated 1635 and is constructed of sandstone. It has a shaped top with cusped and scrolled carvings; the scroll to the left-hand side no longer survives. The recessed inscription panel reads: “MORS VITA/HERE LYETH/THE BODY OF ELIZA/BETH WIFE OF THOMAS/BAYLIS SHE DIED DE:18/1635 non habemus hic/civitarem manentem sed/futuram ???imus 13:14”

History

The parish church of St Lawrence (Grade II*) was founded in the C12. The north aisle and chancel were added in the C13, and the tower and Lady Chapel were built in the early C16. There were further alterations in the 1860s when the chancel was largely rebuilt, and in 1874-78 the church was restored.

The headstone at the eastern edge of the churchyard commemorates Elizabeth Baylis who died in 1635.

Reasons for Listing

The headstone to Elizabeth Baylis located approximately 20m to the east of the chancel of the Church of St Lawrence, and dated 1635, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: a rare example of a pre-1650 headstone that illustrates the history of St Lawrence’s churchyard;
* Decorative quality: the headstone exhibits good craftsmanship with decorative cusped and scrolled carvings;
* Inscription: the inscription clearly identifies Elizabeth Baylis and the date of death, and includes an epitaph of Latin verse;
* Group value: it has group value with the Church of St Lawrence (Grade II*).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.