This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7364 / 51°44'10"N
Longitude: -0.8576 / 0°51'27"W
OS Eastings: 478982
OS Northings: 204801
OS Grid: SP789048
Mapcode National: GBR C2J.00J
Mapcode Global: VHDVJ.2MZ8
Entry Name: Longwick War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 April 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1419466
Location: Longwick-cum-Ilmer, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27
Civil Parish: Longwick-cum-Ilmer
Built-Up Area: Longwick
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Princes Risborough with Ilmer
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Monument to the fallen of the First and Second World War unveiled and dedicated by the Bishop of Buckingham on 10th October 1920.
War memorial, erected 1920.
A granite Celtic cross with slightly tapering shaft. This sits on a rough stone plinth with a rough stone two-stepped base. There is decorative knotwork and a central boss on the cross face. The memorial is surrounded by a paved area and an iron fence and gate with spearhead finials.
A polished area on the front of the plinth has a black-painted lead lettering inscription which reads:
THIS STONE WAS ERECTED/ BY THE INHABITANTS & FRIENDS OF LONG WICK/ IN HONOUR & EVERLASTING MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS VILLAGE/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE WORLDS GREAT WAR./ 1914-1919.
Beneath this are the fourteen names of the fallen from 1914-1919, in two columns of seven, and at the base of the plaque an inscription which reads:
"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS".
Beneath, and at an angle on the step of the plinth is a stone tablet which bears the names of the seven men who lost their lives in the 1939-1945 conflict, and beneath the names is an inscription which reads:
"THEY SHALL BE REMEMBERED".
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
It is not known who crafted the memorial, but it was unveiled and dedicated by the Bishop of Buckingham on 10th October 1920. This unveiling was particularly poignant because three of the bishop's four sons had died in the war and there is a memorial window to them in All Saints Church, High Wycombe (Buckinghamshire).
The names of those who fell in the Great War are inscribed on the plinth, but below this is an additional stone plaque, set at an angle on the lowest step, with the inscribed names of those who fell in the Second World War.
The war memorial at Longwick, erected in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this small community in the First and Second World Wars, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at local and national level;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and dignified memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings