This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0545 / 51°3'16"N
Longitude: -4.1921 / 4°11'31"W
OS Eastings: 246464
OS Northings: 130638
OS Grid: SS464306
Mapcode National: GBR KK.FV4B
Mapcode Global: FRA 263B.GMZ
Entry Name: Appledore War Memorial
Listing Date: 10 June 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1419468
Location: Northam, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Northam
Built-Up Area: Northam
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Appledore St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
First and Second World War memorial, erected in 1923, with the names of the Fallen of the Second World War added circa 1949. The memorial is surrounded by a set of modern metal posts linked by chains; these are excluded from the listing.
First and Second World War memorial, erected in 1923, with the names of the Fallen of the Second World War added circa 1949.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a plain obelisk on a square plinth with a four-tier stepped base. The names of the Fallen are inscribed around the plinth (First World War) and the first tier of the base (Second World War). The front face (east elevation) bears the inscription: ‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF/ APPLEDORE HEROES/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918’. Below this are the names of those who died in service in the Royal Navy between 1914-1918 and on the base below are the names of those lost in the Royal Navy between 1939-1945. The north face bears the names of those who fell while serving in the Army during both World Wars. The west face bears the names of those in the Mercantile Marine (First World War) and Merchant Navy (Second World War). The south face bears the name of those in the Mercantile Marines and Army (First World War), and below the names of those in the Royal Air Force (Second World War).
The memorial is surrounded by a set of modern metal posts linked by chains; these are excluded from the listing.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 8 December 2016.
The war memorial stands to the north of the Ebenezer Baptist Church, south-east of Church of St Mary (Grade II), and overlooking the Quay in a prominent position within Appledore. This memorial commemorates the residents of Appledore who died in the First World War (73 names) and was erected by 1923. As a coastal community, along with those in the Army, many of those who died served with the Royal Navy and the Mercantile Marine. The memorial includes the names of a number of those serving who died under the age of 16. These include Sidney Cawsey, originally thought to have been 14; however, records suggest that he was actually aged 13 years and nine months at the time of his death. He served as cook on the Schooner Reward, along with his father John Cawsey who also died when their merchant vessel was shelled on 12 March 1917. Sidney received the British War Medal and Mercantile Marine War Medal posthumously. He was one of the youngest recipients of the awards, as well as one of the youngest victims of the conflict. The names of two men were omitted from this memorial as they are buried in the adjacent churchyard. The memorial was rededicated in 1949 to commemorate the 31 residents of Appledore who lost their lives during the Second World War.
The war memorial, excluding the surrounding modern metal posts and chains, on Churchfield Road, Appledore is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical interest: as a poignant testament to the sacrifice made by this community in both World Wars, and subsequent conflicts, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level;
* Architectural interest: its simple obelisk design is well executed and fitting to its purpose as a memorial structure;
* Group value: it has group value with the nearby Church of St Mary (Grade II), and together with the K6 telephone kiosk on the Quay (Grade II), it forms a group of structures which make a positive contribution to Appledore’s historic street scene.
Other nearby listed buildings