History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sandhurst War Memorial, Memorial Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandhurst, Bracknell Forest

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.345 / 51°20'41"N

Longitude: -0.7918 / 0°47'30"W

OS Eastings: 484243

OS Northings: 161348

OS Grid: SU842613

Mapcode National: GBR D8K.QLV

Mapcode Global: VHDXH.7G79

Entry Name: Sandhurst War Memorial, Memorial Park

Listing Date: 13 June 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1419514

Location: Sandhurst, Bracknell Forest, GU47

County: Bracknell Forest

Civil Parish: Sandhurst

Built-Up Area: Sandhurst

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Sandhurst

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Sandhurst

Summary

Monument to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars unveiled c1921 and moved to its present location in 1984.

Description

War memorial, erected about 1921.

A limestone Latin cross with a sword and wreath detail in relief on the front face. The cross has a chamfered base and sits on a tall square stone plinth and a three-stepped base. The plinth has an inset panel on the front face. The surrounding paved area is enclosed by iron railings on three sides.

The inscription on the plinth reads:

IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ AD 1914 1918/ AD 1939-1945/ SANDHURST

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.

History

The Sandhurst war memorial is now located in the Sandhurst Memorial Park. It was moved from another location on Yorktown Road in 1984 due to a threat from traffic. The memorial was originally unveiled in about 1921 but neither the dignitary who performed the unveiling nor the craftsmen responsible for constructing the memorial are known.

The inscription on the plinth commemorates those who fell in both the Great War and the Second World War.

The surrounding Memorial Gardens date to 1949 when the land was purchased by Sandhurst Parish Council to provide a public recreation ground for residents. The park has extended in area over time.

This war memorial should not be confused with the War Memorial to All Men 1927, which is in the grounds of the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst.

Reasons for Listing

The war memorial in Memorial Park, Sandhurst, unveiled c1921 but moved to its present location in 1984, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the people of Sandhurst and those who passed through the Royal Military Academy in the First and Second World Wars. It is of strong historic and cultural significance both at local and national level;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this elegant memorial.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.