History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Matson War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Matson and Robinswood, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8377 / 51°50'15"N

Longitude: -2.2228 / 2°13'22"W

OS Eastings: 384742

OS Northings: 215479

OS Grid: SO847154

Mapcode National: GBR 1LD.NV4

Mapcode Global: VH94K.F27J

Entry Name: Matson War Memorial

Listing Date: 13 August 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1419823

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL4

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Matson and Robinswood

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Matson St Katherine

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Matson

Summary

First World War memorial, dedicated in 1920 and designed by F S Waller, architect, with the carvings in the cross head designed by A Maud Parsons, and executed by the sculptor W H Fry.

Description

First World War memorial, dedicated in 1920 and designed by F S Waller, architect, with the carvings in the cross head designed by A Maud Parsons, and executed by the sculptor W H Fry.

MATERIALS: of Portland stone with a Pea Grit stone base.

PLAN: it is square on plan.

DETAILS: the memorial, which faces south-east, takes the form of a medieval lantern cross standing upon a two-step base of Pea Grit stone blocks. The base supports a square plinth upon which sits an octagonal socket stone whose upper section has been worked into a deep drip moulding. A bronze plaque on the south-east side of the socket stone is inscribed: 'IN MEMORY OF / THOSE WHO DIED / FOR THE RIGHT IN / THE WAR 1914-1918 / THANKS BE TO / GOD WHICH GIVETH / US THE VICTORY'. Plaques on the north-west and south-west sides record the names of the fallen. The shaft, which is square at the base and is ornamented with carved leaf decoration, tapers in octagonal section to a lantern-head set above an octagonal annulet. Each face of the cross head is divided into four traceried niches containing figures sculptured in relief: on the south-east side is the Crucified Christ with St John and the Virgin Mary whilst the north-east face contains the Madonna and Child; the north-west and south-west faces both have figures of soldiers.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 July 2017.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was erected in the churchyard of St Katharine's in Matson to commemorate the 12 men of the parish who died during this conflict. The Matson War Memorial Committee, which was established at a public meeting on the 16 October 1919, decided that the memorial should take the form of a lantern cross, similar to and of the same dimensions of the medieval churchyard cross at Ampney Crucis. It was also to be constructed from Portland stone with Pea Grit stone from Minchinhampton Quarry for the base. The architect F W Waller was asked to produce working drawings whilst local artist Miss A Maud Parsons was invited to design the carvings for the cross head. On 25 February 1920 an agreement was reached between the Committee and the sculptor W H Fry of Cheltenham to carve and erect the cross at a cost of £202, which was funded by subscription. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on 12 October 1920 by Canon William Bazeley, Rector of Matson.

Reasons for Listing

Matson War Memorial, dedicated in 1920 and designed by F S Waller, architect, with the carvings in the cross head designed by A Maud Parsons, and executed by the sculptor W H Fry, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Design: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the simple form of a medieval lantern cross;
* Intactness: it stands in its original location, remaining unaltered since it was dedicated in 1920;

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.