This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.433 / 53°25'58"N
Longitude: -1.9929 / 1°59'34"W
OS Eastings: 400570
OS Northings: 392910
OS Grid: SK005929
Mapcode National: GBR GXJR.B3
Mapcode Global: WHB9S.CZ72
Entry Name: Charlesworth War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 July 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1419953
Location: Charlesworth, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
District: High Peak
Civil Parish: Charlesworth
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Charlesworth St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Derby
A war memorial commemorating the fallen of the two World Wars sited in a prominent location at the main road junction in the village of Charlesworth, Derbyshire.
War memorial commemorating the fallen of the First and Second World Wars, standing within an area paved with sandstone flagstones and bounded by stone kerbs at a road junction. The designer of the memorial has not been identified.
MATERIALS: the memorial is made of ashlar stone.
EXTERIOR: the memorial takes the form of a truncated tapered obelisk, rising from a deep plinth. The north and south faces of the plinth have a vertical curved projection to the centre of each face, and above, on the corresponding faces of the monument shaft are fixing holes. Both may have been used to secure flagpoles or another kind of commemorative fitting. The west face of the obelisk is inscribed with the names of members of the local community who died in the First World War with the inscription: 1914-1918/ IN MEMORY/ OF THE FALLEN/ OF THIS PARISH/ (Names)/ 1939-1945/ (names). The names of those lost in the Second World are added, on the corresponding face of the plinth below.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Prior to then memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, which was the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
The War Memorial at Charlesworth in Derbyshire was unveiled on the 6th April 1920 by a prominent local resident, Major S.Hill Woods, to commemorate the fallen of the First World War. The memorial is believed to have been funded by public subscription, co-ordinated by Charlesworth Parish Council.
The war memorial, located at the junction of Town Lane and Glossop Road, in Charlesworth is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* Architectural interest: the memorial was erected in the great age of memorial building in the aftermath of the First World War, when simple, dignified designs such as the Charlesworth memorial eloquently conveyed the massive sense of loss felt in so many parts of the country.
Other nearby listed buildings